Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slippery butt

Slippery butt

The butt of my winchester seems to slip a lot against my shoulder, I tried giving it a quick go with sand paper, but it didnt seem to help much, so as a temp. Measure I've taped a small piece of wet and dry paper to it (its black as is the tape so it looks ok) it works ok but its a bit heath robinson, so wondered if there was a better soloution?

Quote Originally Posted by Smelf36 View Post
    The butt of my winchester seems to slip a lot against my shoulder, I tried giving it a quick go with sand paper, but it didnt seem to help much, so as a temp. Measure I've taped a small piece of wet and dry paper to it (its black as is the tape so it looks ok) it works ok but its a bit heath robinson, so wondered if there was a better soloution?
    is it a buttplate, a recoil pad, is it a wood to the end, is it checkered, etc.?

There are two types of shooters - the fulfilled and successful ones - with a 7 X 57 and those poor souls who have not yet decided to get one!

Hi, solid rubber butt pad. It's on old Winchester Mod.70

I was going to suggest talc until I opened the thread.
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

Get the pad covered in leather? I think pietasvenatores/PKL on here can do that or Andy Coull near Dundee. Maybe a wee bit far from East Sussex right enough.

Might be worth trying self amalgamating tape as a cheap fix to start with, I had a similar problem with an old 308 - problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Smelf36 View Post
    Hi, solid rubber butt pad. It's on old Winchester Mod.70
    If it is the old red rubber pad, it has probably aged, turned hard, and slick.
    Replace it, with a pre-fit Pachmayr Decelerator or Simms. The Decelerator comes in about four thicknesses, so you can adjust the length with that. The Simms Limbsaver is more sticky, so may not be for quick mounting.

Come on Muir this is just up your street.
    Love the thread title.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    If it is the old red rubber pad, it has probably aged, turned hard, and slick.
    Replace it, with a pre-fit Pachmayr Decelerator or Simms. The Decelerator comes in about four thicknesses, so you can adjust the length with that. The Simms Limbsaver is more sticky, so may not be for quick mounting.

I concur .
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!