Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hello from oxfordshire!

hello from oxfordshire!

i'm 23yrs old and live in oxfordshire im in the process of re applying for fac calibre .270 after having a .243 on mentor licence and having to hand it back in as mentor fell ill, so to keep feo im needing to find new land and go out with someone who can write a letter to say im ok with a rifle, i will be doing the dsc1 with the bds next year, and im sure i will be asking lots of questions on good books and things thanks!

ps i'm obsessed by wild boar! hence the .270

Hi Goodaim,

hello and welcome to the SD forget the .270 and apply for a .308 just my opinion.

best to get out knocking doors for permission rather than trying to tag along with someone without nothing to offer in return.

regards Neil.

hello feo isnt happy giving me a .308 so .270 it is for time being im a big lad built like a brick sh*t house and used .270s before and there fine for me, and my opinion is that the .270 offers a very good deal look on gunstar and what have you and you can buy a full set up for under 500 i have a SG certificate and i use baikals for the same reason cheap but reliable and do the job

as to what i can offer, very true im based near henley and problem is alot and i mean alot of the stalking around here is leased at MEGGA BUCKS just type in stalking henley area in google and look O_o

Quote Originally Posted by goodaim View Post
    hello feo isnt happy giving me a .308 so .270 it is for time being im a big lad built like a brick sh*t house and used .270s before and there fine for me, and my opinion is that the .270 offers a very good deal look on gunstar and what have you and you can buy a full set up for under 500 i have a SG certificate and i use baikals for the same reason cheap but reliable and do the job

as to what i can offer, very true im based near henley and problem is alot and i mean alot of the stalking around here is leased at MEGGA BUCKS just type in stalking henley area in google and look O_o
    What has being built like a brick sh*t house got to do with buying a .308 or a .270?

I doubt an feo would push you for a .270 as a first centerfire.

If you can't find any stalking close by then start with some vermin shooting and work you're way through the different calibres like most other folk have, and then build a relationship with you're feo and then you will be in the position to ask for what you want.

regards Neil.

maybe i didnt make myself clear ive had for 3 years a .243 and used with mentor as per regs on fac. my mentor is ill licence taken away after speaking to feo, he has said he will re issue .243 with letter of recommendation but i want to shot boar so i said what about .308 he said no he would prefer a .270, as per being built.... the usual arguement from most stalkers i speak to is, dont use a .270 as they kick and are noisey old bits of kit that no one wants, i find they dont kick and fits me perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by goodaim View Post
    maybe i didnt make myself clear ive had for 3 years a .243 and used with mentor as per regs on fac. my mentor is ill licence taken away after speaking to feo, he has said he will re issue .243 with letter of recommendation but i want to shot boar so i said what about .308 he said no he would prefer a .270, as per being built.... the usual arguement from most stalkers i speak to is, dont use a .270 as they kick and are noisey old bits of kit that no one wants, i find they dont kick and fits me perfect.
    Thats the problem with listening to hearsay, How much boar shooting do you intend on a year?

I'm not digging you out I just find it hard when every other day someone joins here to find a mentor when most of us hunters have had to find out the hard way.

regards Neil.

no i appreciate that, everbody wants a quick route and not necessarily the correct route either and no offence was intended, luckily my job means i deal with alot of farmers, as much boar shooting as possible be it paid and or free looking at going driven boar shooting next year in poland, one of my customers has said once he has his firearms back from plod he will take me on his land which is apparently "over ran with the horned b*ggers" but again hearsay until it happens

I wish you all the best and don't stop knocking.

regards Neil.

welcome, PM in bound
    Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.
    Elbert Hubbard