Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Air travel with a firearm

Post Air travel with a firearm

Dear all how do you travel on a plane with a rifle and ammo? the advise I am getting is less than clear see below.

A maximum of 5kg ammunition can be carried as hold baggage only. The ammunition must be packed in a strong metal/wooden fibreboard box and may be packed with the firearm, providing it is securely boxed, but separately from the personal belongings. If you are looking to carry the ammunition in small box in your hold bag, then please remember to declare that information at the airport check-in counter before checking in the bag

how can the ammo be in the hold bag yet separate from the belongings?

advice greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil2015 View Post
    Dear all how do you travel on a plane with a rifle and ammo? the advise I am getting is less than clear see below.

A maximum of 5kg ammunition can be carried as hold baggage only. The ammunition must be packed in a strong metal/wooden fibreboard box and may be packed with the firearm, providing it is securely boxed, but separately from the personal belongings. If you are looking to carry the ammunition in small box in your hold bag, then please remember to declare that information at the airport check-in counter before checking in the bag

how can the ammo be in the hold bag yet separate from the belongings?

advice greatly appreciated.
    First thing is to bear in mind that the 5Kg allowance includes the weight of the container.
    Second thing is that you have to comply with the airline rules. They may not be the same on the way out as on the way in.
    Third is the airport rules, again these can influence the airline rules as it may be OK to get your rifle in but not get it out in the same manner.

I've been into Copenhagen with rifle as my only item of checked luggage. Getting out of Copenhagen required rifle and bolt in two separate items of checked luggage. Nice when I only had hand luggage.

Lisbon allows anything in but needs ammo and rifle separate at departure. Nice for those that had a suitable container but not for a member of this site who just put his ammo in his checked luggage (as we did on the way out). He didn't get on the plane back and had to buy a new ticket.

You really need to specify your route and specific advice can be given.

Stan

Blog Entries
    I use a petty cash tin for carrying ammo and my bolt. This then goes in my hold luggage. They affix ammunition labels to the hold luggage. No need to have the bolt in there but that's my choice.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Many thanks for this reply Stan- I am going to Inverness with easyjet

Hi North Dorset That is what I thought may be necessary I was thinking of just one of those indestructible ammo boxes to keep the bullets separate from the belongings but the cash box seems a strong idea and would keep bolt from rifle and locked away- should be a winner.

do they take the rifle off you as you board the plane?

Hi North Dorset just read your page and it made me smile- if you offer accompanied stalking I would be very keen to learn from you.

do they take the rifle off you as you board the plane?
    When you check your luggage, you will pay any extra fee (if necessary) for shipping of your firearm and fill in a form which references your firearms license. They will affix 'firearm' tags to the rifle case and the ammunition box (or hold luggage if your ammo box is inside your suitcase). Then you will probably be directed to take the rifle case and luggage to the oversize luggage point and it will make its way onto the plane from there. I have found that the procedure varies by airport and handler.

Are you planning on going to America?
    Which ever airline you go with print off their terms etc and any communication you have with them prior to departure.
    First time i went with Delta, no problem, 2nd time i got a jobsworth, nightmare!

Cheers
    Richard

I travel four times each Winter to one or the other of the Baltic states each time there is a different procedure.
    The average method is Cash box for ammo in my hold luggage and rifle, including the bolt, separately in a rigid secure, gun case.
    This has to be declared when booking the flight, normally well before the due date.
    Incidentally, EasyJet is one of the most efficient airlines I have used so far, and cheapest, to carry sporting rifles.
    Last edited by EMcC; 21-10-2015 at 21:46.

Many thanks for this reply Stan- I am going to Inverness with easyjet
    Easyjet are good. Just get it in writing that you can take both rifle and ammo. Cash box inside check baggage should be OK for ammo. Rifle in suitable case. May charge for it.

Stan

P.S. For those others note, Easyjet permit each person to put their ammo inside their own check out of Luton but not back out of Paris.

Easyjet permit each person to put their ammo inside their own check out of Luton but not back out of Lisbon.

Easyjet permit rifle and bolt in same case (as has every airline I've flown on) out of Manchester but not back out of Copenhagen.

Return restrictions were all down to local airport rules.