Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trapping

trapping

Hi just going to start some trapping for gray squirrels not done anything like this before just need some advice on feed and where to place the traps and how long before I need to move the trap will be checking it once a day sometimes twice cheers

Quote Originally Posted by hillhrerd View Post
    Hi just going to start some trapping for gray squirrels not done anything like this before just need some advice on feed and where to place the traps and how long before I need to move the trap will be checking it once a day sometimes twice cheers
    No need to feed just use Fenn mk4 traps in tunnels, locate tunnels in areas of heavy Squirrel traffic and peg the chain of the traps down very securely or Fox/ Badger will make off with the dead squirrel and trap never to be seen again.
    Use a gardening trowel to scrape out a hollow half way down the tunnel, fit the trap in the hollow and cover the pan with some fine soil, don't forget to take the safety off. Block off enough of the entrance to the tunnel with short sticks, enough to exclude game birds who are unbelievably stupid.

Squirrels, Rats. Stoats, Weasels etc cannot resist investigating a dark hole and will readily go through if they can see daylight at the end. Remember that you are obliged by law to inspect traps at least once every 24hrs, I have found the most efficient time to be in the hour before dusk, leaving no carcases for Foxy during the night.

If you do want to bait up a tunnel just block one end and place some Sweetcorn ( half a cob) up at the blocked end moving the trap a little more forward so the pan has to be crossed to gain access to the bait.

all the time you are catching leave the trap in situ, sometimes a trap will stop catching, leave it, as soon other squirrels take over the void you have created by catching the locals.

I hope this helps and good luck with the trapping.

very best WB

Fen traps for greys down south is spot on. BUT If you're looking to rid greys for Red conservation purposes, (ie where reds could be about), then the fen trap is inappropriate as difficult to target. Live trapping with whole maize as bait is ideal - Red Squirrels Northern England has some good resources on their website, including this:
    http://www.rsne.org.uk/sites/default...Guidelines.pdf

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Also have a look at Magnum Body grip traps. They can be set between trees minimising non target animals.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Kania traps, effective but expensive.

Apologies for the slight thread hijack, but is it right that the mk4 fenn will shortly be taken off the approved list for stoats? If so, what implications will that have for setting them at ground level for squirrels?

Novice

I have caught lots in a cage trap bait with whole walnuts which are too big for anything else to carry off. Attach one with suitable adhesive to trigger plate.

Place near run or in my case underneath bird feeders works v well.

Dispatch with either air gun or better still air pistol, flat head .22 pellet does the job nicely.

D

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Apologies for the slight thread hijack, but is it right that the mk4 fenn will shortly be taken off the approved list for stoats? If so, what implications will that have for setting them at ground level for squirrels?

Novice
    Live heard similar from a good source.
    No idea on how we are meant to stops stoats, sheer madness again. Maybe a sign ?

Personally I think a Mark 4 is marginal. If you are tunnel trapping use a Mark 6,far more lethal.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

Quote Originally Posted by hillhrerd View Post
    IMHO, Probably prudent to read the conditions on the SACS and BASC websites?