Thread: Tick burden

Tick burden

Just skinned a pair of Roe with a friend, no keds, but loads of ticks of all stages on board, got the coats off sharpish before any got the chance to migrate to our yard & garden, ex D&G area.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I hang the carcass over a big tray of water in my garage which catches any unwelcome guests trying to jump ship until I can get the skin off. As soon as they hit the surface of the water they get stuck and can go nowhere, although the damn things are invariably still struggling!

Alex

i shot 2 roe bucks in Ayrshire 2 weeks ago & both were covered in ticks, i got in the shower shortly after handling them to find one firmly attached to my forearm, i removed it with my o'tom & flushed the little down the loo

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OTOM-TICK-REMO...#ht_2675wt_960
    bairn79

Bairn, if you think that was the end of him, I wouldn't be too sure, I have found they are breath holding champs!, ten days to my knowledge!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

came back from the borders 2 weeks ago even though i checked the dog he had 4 on him when i got home . must have come from the carcasses on the way home

Sorry to hear they can breath under water,the buck I shot at the weekend was covered in the little ba****ds so I took its
    jacket of in the wood and put it in a ditch full off water.Hoped that would drown them but obviously not.

deerhunter270

Ticks are on the increase here in the borders,low land farmers are starting to see ticks on thier sheep that have never been a problem in the past, probably due to the fact that very few farmers dip nowadays..

Nell

Account Suspended
    Best way to get ticks of is to sqeeze their nuts they let go quickly another alternative without them ingesting the content into your blood stream is coat them with nail varnish remover they just drop off.

Tip given to me by a vetinary surgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Caprelous View Post
    Best way to get ticks of is to sqeeze their nuts they let go quickly another alternative without them ingesting the content into your blood stream is coat them with nail varnish remover they just drop off.

Tip given to me by a vetinary surgeon
    I think that anything that may stress the tick runs the risk of it regurgitating stomach contents, and therefore possibly Lyme bacteria, into your bloodstream should be avoided. An O'Tom tick remover cost peanuts and does the job safely. Best advice is here http://www.bada-uk.org/defence/remov...ickremoval.php