Thread: Reloading .204 diy powder funnel and case trimmer

Reloading .204 diy powder funnel and case trimmer

All,

Well I have tried out my DIY case trimmer which started off life as a .22/250 case trimmer. Paddy machined it down to the correct dia and by careful use of an oil stone I reduced the length down to obtain the correct Case length. I note the comments about the diameter and have used it to trim 50 cases and they all look and measure fine. So thats a result, however am awaiting delvery of Lee easy case trimmer.

I have a standard Lee powder funnel which is not ideal however I had a bit of an experiment and realised that a .17 HMR case is the ideal size to fit inside the neck of a .204 case.

A quick trip to a local cook shop sourced a small plastic funnel of correct dimensions, I cut the base of an .17 HMR case, chamfered the inside and fitted to the inside of the funnel, v snug but aided by some hot water treatment. So now have a custom made .204 powder funnel for a princely 1.

Used it last night to load 20 rounds and it worked a dream, no issues with static.

Only issue is that Reloader 10 sometimes does not dispense correctly when using a Lee powder dispensor. However easy to feel iffy charges and I weighed them all and they were spot on just now discard any charge when there is a sticky feel. I drop charge staight into case via funnel and then reload.

So well on the road to getting the .204 sorted now just have to get out with it.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    All,

Well I have tried out my DIY case trimmer which started off life as a .22/250 case trimmer. Paddy machined it down to the correct dia and by careful use of an oil stone I reduced the length down to obtain the correct Case length. I note the comments about the diameter and have used it to trim 50 cases and they all look and measure fine. So thats a result, however am awaiting delvery of Lee easy case trimmer.

I have a standard Lee powder funnel which is not ideal however I had a bit of an experiment and realised that a .17 HMR case is the ideal size to fit inside the neck of a .204 case.

A quick trip to a local cook shop sourced a small plastic funnel of correct dimensions, I cut the base of an .17 HMR case, chamfered the inside and fitted to the inside of the funnel, v snug but aided by some hot water treatment. So now have a custom made .204 powder funnel for a princely 1.

Used it last night to load 20 rounds and it worked a dream, no issues with static.

Only issue is that Reloader 10 sometimes does not dispense correctly when using a Lee powder dispensor. However easy to feel iffy charges and I weighed them all and they were spot on just now discard any charge when there is a sticky feel. I drop charge staight into case via funnel and then reload.

So well on the road to getting the .204 sorted now just have to get out with it.

D
    Nice work.
    How far off were your powder charges?
    And did you weigh your bullets and brass as well?? ~Muir

Muir,

Not quite got to that stage yet however was not impressed by the quality of Hornady new .204 brass.

I have a set of analytical scales so will do so and post.

D

Don't bother. The point I was trying to make is that weighing powder to an exactitude suddenly seems pointless when the bullets are of different weights and the brass different volumes. I weighed some 168 grain Sierra Match King bullets this past weekend. A grain and some variance. They still shot bug holes from my 308.~Muir