Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 308 for driven boar

308 for driven boar

So, I thought I would run this past people on this forum to see what you come up with.
    I have a 308 win with 22" howa barrel.
    Does anyone have a bullet powder combo that works for driven wild boar? I dont want things to keep going.

Get a 9.3x74r and shoot 290 grns!!!

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by levigsp View Post
    So, I thought I would run this past people on this forum to see what you come up with.
    I have a 308 win with 22" howa barrel.
    Does anyone have a bullet powder combo that works for driven wild boar? I dont want things to keep going.
    I've just worked up a load for my .308 to cover all my hunting. 165grn Norma Oryx over 44 grns of Norma 203B. My mate is over from England and dropped a moose in its tracks with that bullet powder combo in my rifle yesterday. I will use them for driven boar a bit later in the season. Learning how to shoot driven game is as important as what bullet combo you use.

I'm not sure about powder specifics as I dont reload but I'd have thought 180 or 200gr bullet weight would do the job more than admirably? And I'd have then thought you'd want a reasonably hot powder to keep the velocity up?

Not speaking from experience here, just thinking out loud hehe

EDIT - An answer popped in while I was typing above! Sounds like thats your answer then!

Out of interest could/should you use a 180gr bullet?

Geco 308 softpoint are fairly cheap, and loaded with 170gn roundnose, flatbase bullets. I'm no expert but I guess that would be something to emulate for driven pigs...

I'd say splash out on a few boxes of 180g ish factory ammo and go shoot some pigs ?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

.308 x 150gn did the trick for me for many years but when I changed to 180gn I had to allow for more lead due to the 'slower' bullet
    Norma do some nice 180 gn and Winchester do some nicer 220gn bullets.
    As for reloading, I used Sierra game king 180 round nose, Federal Mag primer and 42.5 grns of H4895
    I have also seen 'the locals' on some of the driven boar trips I have been on using PPU Grom 170gn to good effect.
    Last edited by EMcC; 23-10-2015 at 12:57.

The Hornady 170gr FP Interlock (Flat Point - now there's an oxymoron if ever there was one!), over circa 42gr of N150 has worked for me on driven boar and deer in the UK - roe and red have just dropped as if struck by the hammer of Thor!

The Hornady FP, not being of the fashionable pointy type, are also my second favourite price.

I first started shooting large wild boar with an HK-91 and FN FAL using 180-gr Federal and Remington .308 Win ammunition, and still use them in bolt actions, because they truly knock them over, dead instantly.

If you search on here I'm almost 100% certain there is already a lengthy thread with the same title as this.