kinetic hammer WANTED

sh1kar

Any recommendations as I am looking to purchase - my current one the collet has gone and to be honest v fiddly and not v robust
Lyman looks good

Sh1kar

I just got the Forrester one from 1967Spud and used it for the first time today, it needs to be bolted in tight but is very pleasing to use.

add a bit of soft sponge to avoid damaging you bullets hitting the nose of the hammer ,I now use a collect bullet puller no damage or powder flying around the bench

Hi,

Was in Blue Fox Glade on Friday night, they have one for £10 which is cheap. Give James a call.

D

Any recommendations as I am looking to purchase - my current one the collet has gone and to be honest v fiddly and not v robust
Lyman looks good

Sh1kar

IMO the kinetic hammer type puller is all you need for occasional jobs, but not all of them can take the punishment. The RCBS one seems by repute to be particularly brittle.

I dismantle hundreds of different calibres to save the components in original condition so have a variety including the Forster collet die type. There is no faster or more adaptable system than the kinetic puller so I use this 99% of the time.

If the business at hand is dismantling ammunition in bulk to fit decent bullets (to RG 5.56 62gr Nato, or .308 & .303 surplus for instance) then the press type gets used. While the collet body is cheap, the calibre collets are expensive and a bit of a rip-off.
I don't re-use bullets pulled in a Forster, as they are squeezed pretty hard in the extraction process so the notion that they're not distorted or as good as new might be a fallacy.

For the average reloader, and collectors of scarce ammunition too the kinetic type is usually the best choice for salvaging the bits. There is a knack to using one. I've got a Quinetics Corp one (made of a softer polymer plastic I believe) which is really beat up, but has done about 1000 rounds so far.

Lyman looks good

Sh1kar

You can always use your standard press shell holder in the Kinetic hammer if the supplied collet fails...Sorry just noted that you have already ordered a replacement, but it might be still be a useful tip to you or others.

Alan

Never had a problem, I can , and do pull .17 rounds without any marking or damage, the only time things get squiffy is if an overly heavy crimp is in place.

Trouble is to get to mag length in my 527 my hornet ammo is seated right to the base of the ogive so there is no bearing surface for the collet to grip. Have had no problem with the .223 other than with 52gr a-max which did mark quite badly even without any crimp. Just my experience, though having pulled 100 odd .308 with it the other day I was very glad not to be using a hammer. Simple answer, have both, hammers are cheap enough!

Back