Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracking Through Nettles

Tracking Through Nettles

I use a German Shepherd to track deer that I've shot, especially useful in woodlands. She tracks very well and has saved the bacon on many occasions, in fact I will not stalk without her. But when it comes to nettles she is very easily put off and this mornings stalk brought it to a head.
    I shot a Roe on the edge of a wood which then ran about 20 yards into the wood through nettles. As soon as the dog got to them she did everything not to track in, going on false trails etc. The blood trail was that obvious I managed to find the Roe with little problem.
    Any tips to get her over this. I can lay tracks in fields etc and she will follow them all day long but.........................

Appreciated

bryn

I think just keep up the practice and hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel. Each dog has it's own foible's my thin coat pointer won't do anything spikey

My border terrier will jump into razor wire laced with broken glass on a fresh cat scent

Quote Originally Posted by .25-06 View Post
    I think just keep up the practice and hopefully there will be light at the end of the tunnel. Each dog has it's own foible's my thin coat pointer won't do anything spikey
    My pointer won't go anywhere near anything spikey or stingy either, unless there's a genuine reason to. To be honest, I wondered if she was going to be good for much when she was younger as she was so soft. Then I had the misfortune to wound a fox & the dogs response was quite an eye-opener, I can tell you; the fox was dead with a snapped neck within about 2 seconds of the shot & it had made it to the middle of a bramble patch.

On re-reading the OP I wonder if hunting instinct would have anything to do with it? I'm afraid I don't know anything about German Shepherds but I'd have thought that they might have less hunting instinct than some other breeds which allows them to do the things they excel at.
    Last edited by McKenzie; 25-10-2015 at 07:01.

Unfortunately we didn't train my German shepherd for deer tracking and at 8 he's too set in his ways to think about him tracking deer. But hide his toy and watch him air scent until he finds it. If we'd trained him for deer when he was a pup I'm sure he would have been an excellent tracker. The police use them for tracking people so there must be some hunting instinct in there somewhere.

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Most if not all the dogs have the very basic ability to track and find.

The money maker is your ability to find what they think is interesting and convert that into what you want.

Lay some bloodtrails arounf nettles, then once confident near them make some pathways through nettles then lay a blood trail and progress from there

Quote Originally Posted by Border View Post
    My border terrier will jump into razor wire laced with broken glass on a fresh cat scent
    And pretty sharp on moose too.

Gsd are no different to other "working" breeds in that some lines are better than others.

Your description of the issue with nettles sounds to me like your dog is not fully in drive when tracking.

It it could be she is just lacking in prey drive but you should try upping the anti with your training to build it.

Increase the reward at the end of the track and build anticipation to the task in hand at the start so she has a clear idea of the task in hand. Easier to build at the start if you are using a harness and line.

Remember quality training far exceeds large quantities of average training.

While primarily a Schutzhund book, Der Schutzhund by Helmet Raiser is a worthy read of learning how to maximise the attributes of gsds.

Hope that helps. regards

BP

I could offer some suggestions that may help but can't help but think that contacting one of the genuine tacking experts on here would be better. I would be very surprised if none of them have had this problem. The UKSHA boys are the way to go IMO.
    baguio