Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferretting without permission?

Ferretting without permission?

What "crime" would someone be committing if they were caught ferretting for rabbits on land where they did not have permission?
    The reason I ask is because this is because situation from last week-end has just sprung in to my mind.
    I spotted 4 young lads (2 were teenagers and the other two were around 10 to 12 years old) about to start ferretting on one of my permissions. I spotted them from about 1/4 mile away whilst I was out having a bit of a walk about with the shotgun. They hadn't spotted me and were about to start laying a few purse nets so I immediately phoned the farmer to see if he had given them permission. He told me that there was no-one else except me had permission on his land and that I should (In his words) "See them off"!
    I calmly approached them (After unloading my shotgun) and asked them what they were doing and if they had permission to be there. They said that they were after a few rabbits for the pot and that "a lad in the village" had told them it would ok to get a few rabbits from the land they were on. With this I explained that they ALWAYS needed permission FROM THE LANDOWNER wherever they wanted to work their ferrets and that the farmer who owned this land was not willing to allow them to do any ferretting there, and that it would be best if they turned back and left the land.
    In fairnes they were quite polite and reasonable about it, they were not agressive in any way and they did not try to argue (They were not aware that I had unloaded and made my shotgun safe before approaching them and I did not "wave it about" in any way which could have bees seen as threatening) and when I had finished talking to them they quietly picked up their nets and turned and left.
    I was not worried about the situation and I do not think will see them again around there but I was wondering exactly what someone ferretting for rabbits (Or running long dogs) without permission could be charged with if the landowner wanted to take things further? Would it be trespass (In pursuit of game), poaching, or what other crime would they be committing? I should add that none of them were carrying a weapon so it would not have been "Armed Trespass" and these lads did not have a dog with them!
    What are your thoughts guys and how would you handle situation like this where "youngsters" do not even seem to realise that they are committing an offence?

Trespass in pursuit of game.

Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    Trespass in pursuit of game.
    I thought that but are rabbits classed as game in this sort of case?
    I'm not 100% sure on that on so that's why I put the "Pursuit of game" part in brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    I thought that but are rabbits classed as game in this sort of case?
    I'm not 100% sure on that on so that's why I put the "Pursuit of game" part in brackets.
    Nearly everything is classed as game if you are a trespasser/unauthorised, from what I remember.

The nicest way to deal with this would be to ask the boys to leave, but get a contact phone number and suggest to the landowner he contacts them and invites them on his land on his own terms. It would be so nice to see kids enjoying country sports rather than GTA / BlackOps and all that rubbish locked in their bedroom on their computer. They need encouragement, not a put-down.Now, that would be a win-win....
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Something along these lines would be my preferred option.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    The nicest way to deal with this would be to ask the boys to leave, but get a contact phone number and suggest to the landowner he contacts them and invites them on his land on his own terms. It would be so nice to see kids enjoying country sports rather than GTA / BlackOps and all that rubbish locked in their bedroom on their computer. They need encouragement, not a put-down.Now, that would be a win-win....
    Totally agree, a bit of engagement and leadership could have really been a turning point for them.....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Exactly, as i expect a lot of us on here did this as kids didn't we?
    Cheers
    Richard

You have raised a very good point there, and one that I will bare in mind if this sort of situation ever arises again. This is why I asked how others would handle a similar situation. I am always in favour of encouraging youngsters in to county pursuits. However in this case the landowner was adamant that I should (As he put it) "see them off" as he is one of those type of farmers that will only allows one person (who he knows and trusts) to shoot or whatever on to his land. He did have a lad (Who I knew and even tried using my name (Without my knowledge) to gain permission) ask him about allowing him to do some ferretting on his land and he gave a straight but polite "NO" as an answer!

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    Exactly, as i expect a lot of us on here did this as kids didn't we?
    Cheers
    Richard
    Yep certainly did and with air rifles and terriers we where formidable Killed everything !