Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: thinking of downsizing want a change!!!!!!

thinking of downsizing want a change!!!!!!

ive beeen stalking for a good few years got my dmq 1 and 2 all the lantra stuff RCO etc
    used a lot of cals but settled with 270
    like my 270 a remmy but i have 223 243 etc etc like most of you guys question is what can i do to make things more streamlined and less hassle when going out the door
    what one rifle does the whole job?
    set up will bet s and b 8 x 56 harris holding it up and a mod but what rifle?
    6.5 x55 .308 what else is there?
    30.06 too much gun ans 300 win mag same
    you all have your faves and opinions and id appreciate your input
    deer im shooting is everyhting but sika cause we dont have many in norfolk
    cheers
    scout

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    stick with .270!....will drop anything in the uk...bullets available anywhere.....'nuff said!

steveM

Any of the 7mm rounds. I have a 6.5x55 and have just got a variation for a 7mm-08 too, but am considering a 7x64 that is coming up for sale soon.

I know a chap who has two centrefire rifles, a .243 and a 30-06 which he says will take him from 58gn to 220gn. He wonders why anyone would want anything else?

But if you ever get the chance for boar in france the 7mm are allowed, and as both the 7x64 and 7mm-08 have never been military issue you can take them abroad to restrictive countries.

Whatever you get, it will be fun choosing

Atb, ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I use the same set up as you.. i realy do love the .270.. i had a 6.5x55 which i did like but the .270's devastating terminal performance is somthing i have confidence in. Once that 130 grain has hit the boiler room its game over for the little loves. All the best.

Mo

Do away with the 243 and the 270, replace them both with a 260Rem. This will cover you from 90-140gr's. Personally I settled on 120gr bullets for everything. I am getting 2900FPS with both 120gr Sierra Pro hunters and 120gr NBT's.

Only downside is that you will have to hand load if you don't already.

You could probably make the same argument in favour of the 7/08, particularly if you take a lot of reds rather than fallow and Roe.

Unless you are seriously into long range sniping rather than stalking, there is no need for any case bigger than the '08 for UK deer.
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 03-05-2010 at 15:27.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

SD Regular
    do away with and buy new?........why?......the .270 he already owns!.......so in effect....he has the ideal allrounder already!!........if he homeloads.....bullets from 85grain (barnes) upto 175grain (i read somewhere) are available for it.....and every gunshop in the uk stocks 130-150 grain ammo..and some sell the 100grain remington factory and the 110 hornadys.....so he'll never be stuck if he runs out of bullets!
    Why not sell the surplus rifles and spend the money on more stalking/new scope/custom work on existing rifle/a holiday/the missus.............??
    The 260 and 7mm08 are indeed very good rounds (i would have a 7mm08 if i didn't have the 270).....

steveM

6.5x55 with 140gn hornady sst's fueled by 48gn RL22 is all you need , same killing power of the 270 but without the meat damage , in my opinion !

now grabing the tin hat and heading for the shelter , for incoming flack ! lol

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

SD Regular
    Run boy run!!!!!!!!.........

meat damage is perceived in many different ways........and usually when the greedy bast... game dealer wants to steal your carcass.
    What matters is a clean kill regardless of the damage....something the .270 is very capable of and very efficient at.
    All bullets in all calibres will at some point cause meat damage.......anyone who says they have never damaged the meat on a deer has not shot many or has been very lucky (for now).
    Obviously i'm an advocate of the .270........and yes i use one (after trying many other calibres i might add......this is my fourth .270).....and i agree it can be a bit harsh on the smaller deer.....but so can a 223 or 243.......i don't use a dog......never needed to with the .270.

Another good allround calibre so far not mentioned is the 7x57.......a sweet shooting hard hitting round.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen magson View Post
    do away with and buy new?........why?......the .270 he already owns!.......so in effect....he has the ideal allrounder already!!........if he homeloads.....bullets from 85grain (barnes) upto 175grain (i read somewhere) are available for it.....and every gunshop in the uk stocks 130-150 grain ammo..and some sell the 100grain remington factory and the 110 hornadys.....so he'll never be stuck if he runs out of bullets!
    Why not sell the surplus rifles and spend the money on more stalking/new scope/custom work on existing rifle/a holiday/the missus.............??
    The 260 and 7mm08 are indeed very good rounds (i would have a 7mm08 if i didn't have the 270).....

steveM
    The 270 requires a long action, it needs a long barrel tp take advantage of the powder column, it does not moderate as well as an '08 based round. It burns a lot of extra powder for little extra reward - those last 10-12 grains of powder typically only get you and extra 100-150fps over an '08 cased round. I used one pretty much exclusively for the past 12 years.

I just think with the improved powders and bullets available, combined with the near universal moderating of rifles in the UK, a shorter rifle, both in action and barrel, using a more efficient round should be considered..... The 260rem and the 7/08 are perfect in my view.

I will retire to my bunker to await the incoming....
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 03-05-2010 at 17:21.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

i thought this might get a good response a great bit of feedback guys
    i do like my 270 i might spring for a new one im using a remmy 710 which s a workhorse gun but a bit basic
    i do use sme factory 105 grains for roe cwd and munties and there ok
    please feel free to keep going fellas
    ill throw this in the mix what is consenus on 308?
    cheers
    scout