thinking of downsizing want a change!!!!!!

Lovatscout

ive beeen stalking for a good few years got my dmq 1 and 2 all the lantra stuff RCO etc
used a lot of cals but settled with 270
like my 270 a remmy but i have 223 243 etc etc like most of you guys question is what can i do to make things more streamlined and less hassle when going out the door
what one rifle does the whole job?
set up will bet s and b 8 x 56 harris holding it up and a mod but what rifle?
6.5 x55 .308 what else is there?
30.06 too much gun ans 300 win mag same
you all have your faves and opinions and id appreciate your input
deer im shooting is everyhting but sika cause we dont have many in norfolk
cheers
scout

stick with .270!....will drop anything in the uk...bullets available anywhere.....'nuff said!

steveM

Any of the 7mm rounds. I have a 6.5x55 and have just got a variation for a 7mm-08 too, but am considering a 7x64 that is coming up for sale soon.

I know a chap who has two centrefire rifles, a .243 and a 30-06 which he says will take him from 58gn to 220gn. He wonders why anyone would want anything else?

But if you ever get the chance for boar in france the 7mm are allowed, and as both the 7x64 and 7mm-08 have never been military issue you can take them abroad to restrictive countries.

Whatever you get, it will be fun choosing :thumb:

Atb, ft

I use the same set up as you.. i realy do love the .270.. i had a 6.5x55 which i did like but the .270's devastating terminal performance is somthing i have confidence in. Once that 130 grain has hit the boiler room its game over for the little loves. All the best.

Mo

Do away with the 243 and the 270, replace them both with a 260Rem. This will cover you from 90-140gr's. Personally I settled on 120gr bullets for everything. I am getting 2900FPS with both 120gr Sierra Pro hunters and 120gr NBT's.

Only downside is that you will have to hand load if you don't already.

You could probably make the same argument in favour of the 7/08, particularly if you take a lot of reds rather than fallow and Roe.

Unless you are seriously into long range sniping rather than stalking, there is no need for any case bigger than the '08 for UK deer.

Last edited:
do away with and buy new?........why?......the .270 he already owns!.......so in effect....he has the ideal allrounder already!!........if he homeloads.....bullets from 85grain (barnes) upto 175grain (i read somewhere) are available for it.....and every gunshop in the uk stocks 130-150 grain ammo..and some sell the 100grain remington factory and the 110 hornadys.....so he'll never be stuck if he runs out of bullets!
Why not sell the surplus rifles and spend the money on more stalking/new scope/custom work on existing rifle/a holiday/the missus.............??
The 260 and 7mm08 are indeed very good rounds (i would have a 7mm08 if i didn't have the 270).....

steveM

6.5x55 with 140gn hornady sst's fueled by 48gn RL22 is all you need , same killing power of the 270 but without the meat damage , in my opinion !

now grabing the tin hat and heading for the shelter , for incoming flack ! lol

cheers lee

Run boy run!!!!!!!!.........

meat damage is perceived in many different ways........and usually when the greedy bast... game dealer wants to steal your carcass.
What matters is a clean kill regardless of the damage....something the .270 is very capable of and very efficient at.
All bullets in all calibres will at some point cause meat damage.......anyone who says they have never damaged the meat on a deer has not shot many or has been very lucky (for now).
Obviously i'm an advocate of the .270........and yes i use one (after trying many other calibres i might add......this is my fourth .270).....and i agree it can be a bit harsh on the smaller deer.....but so can a 223 or 243.......i don't use a dog......never needed to with the .270.

Another good allround calibre so far not mentioned is the 7x57.......a sweet shooting hard hitting round.

do away with and buy new?........why?......the .270 he already owns!.......so in effect....he has the ideal allrounder already!!........if he homeloads.....bullets from 85grain (barnes) upto 175grain (i read somewhere) are available for it.....and every gunshop in the uk stocks 130-150 grain ammo..and some sell the 100grain remington factory and the 110 hornadys.....so he'll never be stuck if he runs out of bullets!
Why not sell the surplus rifles and spend the money on more stalking/new scope/custom work on existing rifle/a holiday/the missus.............??
The 260 and 7mm08 are indeed very good rounds (i would have a 7mm08 if i didn't have the 270).....

steveM

The 270 requires a long action, it needs a long barrel tp take advantage of the powder column, it does not moderate as well as an '08 based round. It burns a lot of extra powder for little extra reward - those last 10-12 grains of powder typically only get you and extra 100-150fps over an '08 cased round. I used one pretty much exclusively for the past 12 years.

I just think with the improved powders and bullets available, combined with the near universal moderating of rifles in the UK, a shorter rifle, both in action and barrel, using a more efficient round should be considered.....:evil: The 260rem and the 7/08 are perfect in my view.

I will retire to my bunker to await the incoming....

Last edited:
i thought this might get a good response a great bit of feedback guys
i do like my 270 i might spring for a new one im using a remmy 710 which s a workhorse gun but a bit basic
i do use sme factory 105 grains for roe cwd and munties and there ok
please feel free to keep going fellas
ill throw this in the mix what is consenus on 308?
cheers
scout

I think that the calibre is less important than the actual kit, not sure if that makes sense but what I am trying to say is that I would have any deer legal Sako/Swaro combination over the latest super calibre Remington and Lidl airgun scope. If you want me to nail my colours to the mast then I would keep my .308 Win as a short action or my .270 Win as a long action if I could only have one deer rifle. As Steve said, the .275 Rigby/7x57/7mm Mauser also takes some beating. JC

The 308 is excellent and the only choice if you don't hand load.

JC makes a good point. Buy a quality rifle and scope, lots of good SH 308's out there, the actual calibre choice is less important than the overall "package".

An old saying springs to mind....'beware the one gun man'

Let's face it...we all have our favourites for whatever reason......but at the end of the day...whatever your choice...the main thing is that you get good with it. swapping between rifles can only be of detriment to consistancy...consistency leads to accuracy.....accuracy leads to confidence.
Find the one set up you're happy with and you'll be a far better shot than the guy who chops and changes.

Run boy run!!!!!!!!.........

meat damage is perceived in many different ways........and usually when the greedy bast... game dealer wants to steal your carcass.
What matters is a clean kill regardless of the damage....something the .270 is very capable of and very efficient at.
All bullets in all calibres will at some point cause meat damage.......anyone who says they have never damaged the meat on a deer has not shot many or has been very lucky (for now).

Well said.

I am with Stephen with this one, it makes no sense to change the rifle, especially if you are thinking of going for a 6.5X55.

Both actions require a long action, bore size both are very close to each other, a 6.5mm bore in the USA is .264 while of cause the .270 is well .277 but you get a idea as to how close they are in size.

Hence Sectional density and Ballistic coefficient will; if all other factures are identical for both bullets be similar.

The bullet selection for both calibres is again very similar the 6.5 cal’ ranges from 85 to 160gn bullets while the 270 range is from 90 to 160gn bullets although heavier custom bullets are available for the 270 if you can get your hands on them.

The 6.5 is hampered by a low SAMMI maximum chamber pressure while some will say maybe with some justification that this can be ignored with a modern rifle, what you can not get away from is that the case is physically smaller and hence has a smaller powder charge. With lighter bullets this is not too much of an issue, with 100/120gn the Swede can be made to perform well but as the bullet weights increase the extra case capacity of the 270 makes a difference. As has been said many times on here with 160gn bullets you will need very careful reloading to get them deer legal for use in Scotland.

Remember you can always easily down load a 270 to perform like a less powerful cartridge, it is not so easy to do it the other way round.

Two other points to bear in mind 270 is the minimum recommended for boar in the UK and you can’t take your 6.5 to France, although I am not quite sure why you would want to.:lol:

While 308 7-08 260 etc are all fine cartridges I can think of nothing they would do that your 270 will not do and in most cases better than them. The only disadvantage the 270 has is lack of match bullets if you want to use it for target shooting.

But when all said and done the most important consideration is the calibre of the nut behind the butt.

Buy a better scope or spend some money on hunting something that has always been on your wish list to hunt, it will be money better spent IMO.

ATB

Tahr

Last edited:
Do away with the 243 and the 270, replace them both with a 260Rem. ...................

I am with C_D on this one. I am just getting my 3rd 260 Rem up and running. Got the first one in 1999. The only comment I would make is that some care and good rifle smithing is required to get the 260 Rem to handle the longer bullets. Pro-Hunter works great out of the box. Remington action requires a good man to set it up. Rgds JCS

Last edited:
Are you a reloader?

That will help with the discussion as we can throw all sorts at you then:lol:

If it was me, I would get a 7-08, it has excellent ballistics and better down range energy than the .270 if you needed it. It is a short action, so therefore a lighter rifle. It also has around 30% less felt recoil than a .308 ;)

I am using one at the moment whilst my new rifle is being built, and I love it.

excellent ballistics and better down range energy than the .270

John

What data are you looking at that makes you think the 7-08 is a better down range performer than a 270? Now I am a fan of 7-08 or 7X57 but all the data I can find shows that the 7-08 with the same barrel length is trailing the 270 in velocity by 100 to 200 fps with a very slightly poorer ballistic efficient bullet?

ATB

Tahr

Are you a reloader?

That will help with the discussion as we can throw all sorts at you then:lol:

If it was me, I would get a 7-08, ..... It also has around 30% less felt recoil than a .308 ;)

I am using one at the moment whilst my new rifle is being built, and I love it.

I tried a 308, a 270 before I got my 7mm08.

it has less felt recoil than the 243 I had before.

Back