Thread: sign of the times

sign of the times

While at work today I got talking to a couple whose son was on the laser clays,it came about in the conversation that the youngster wanted to be a gamekeeper.The question was how do you get involved and what does it entail.Having been down that road in my teens i explained a little about the life and where to get information about collages who might help,also the BASC and National organisation of Beaters and the countryside alliance I also suggested that they should try and contact someone in their area so that the boy could experience a day to see what it was all about.
    After they had left I thought of something very important that I had forgotten,I found their caravan knocked and was invited in where I explained that in the modern world the career he was after was not PC and he would face many people who would disapprove some in a nasty way and his parents would have to be on the look out for bullying etc from school,they had not realized this happened and where grateful for the advise,my final words where that it is a great life where friends you make will last a lifetime and you will see many wonderful things that many people never see and wished him luck.

On a Rabbiting forum a couple of years ago a boy had told his class mates about him going rabbiting with his dad at the weekend. The boys teacher then involved social services and berated the boy for going hunting and killing rabbits with his dad.
    The father sought solicitors advice and eventually the teacher was dragged over the coals for his actions.
    When I was at school a lot of us kids had parents or relations that took part in hunting of one form or another.
    How times change?
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Well done that man,we have to encourage young and old to follow their dreams. In an interview at the youth employment in 1968 I was asked what I wanted to do, well sir I said I would like to be a gamekeeper because I have been working on two farms in my holidays and weekends for the past 3years, so that is something that I would love to do. Well said my interviewer their is no call for that around here so you can be a builder!! 35 years later be it part time and unpaid I got the job i wanted ,so it can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JSW View Post
    Well done that man,we have to encourage young and old to follow their dreams. In an interview at the youth employment in 1968 I was asked what I wanted to do, well sir I said I would like to be a gamekeeper because I have been working on two farms in my holidays and weekends for the past 3years, so that is something that I would love to do. Well said my interviewer their is no call for that around here so you can be a builder!! 35 years later be it part time and unpaid I got the job i wanted ,so it can happen.
    Good on you, me too. But thereby is the problem. The overwhelming majority of gamekeepers are part time and do it for free. In fact, the total opposite of being paid, because you always end up being well out of pocket. The stark truth is that to get a paid job as a gamekeeper these days, you not only have to have the right qualifications, be excessively driven and have the right experience, but be lucky as well.

I'm all for the youngsters getting into the various jobs this lifestyle has to offer

but the fact is and I've heard it so many times of farmers etc that the youngsters of today bar the odd one or two know that they can earn more money doing jobs that require less effort than farming , game keeping etc

i personally couldn't afford to be a game keeper / stalker as I doubt I could earn enough to live the life I do

Good man, its great to encourage new blood. I guy who owns some ground I shoot on came over the other day and he very tactfully explained he owed a chap a big favour and the upshot was he needed to let the chap and his son come shooting, I was happy to let them on and share. I hope the lad has a good time. We all need a start.

i personally couldn't afford to be a game keeper / stalker as I doubt I could earn enough to live the life I do[/QUOTE]

I dont know as I have never been a gamekeeper, I do know that the keepers I do know, all on good estatesd, seem to do alright.

Blackpowder

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post

i personally couldn't afford to be a game keeper / stalker as I doubt I could earn enough to live the life I do
    Depends what life you want to lead.
    When my bank manager pointed out to me the other day that I hadn't made any money in the last 12 months, I pointed out to him that that's the price I pay for living the life I want to lead. Other folk work their socks off all week in order to spend their weekends doing the sort of stuff that I do every day!