Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scope woes

scope woes

I bought a new scope fairly recently - a Bushnell. A big step up for me!
    Initially extremely pleased. Just what I wanted.
    Now the weather's gone all autumnal, and after it's first outing in adverse weather conditions it completely fogged up inside.

So, back to shop. It's under warranty. I expected a simple replacement and end of story (although there's always the risk that there's a whole batch of dodgy ones out there), but no. Chap in the shop just 'phoned to say that it's got to be sent to Germany for repair. Will take 3-4 weeks.

Just wondering what experience other folk have of having scopes repaired (either with or without warranty) - will it really come back better than new, or is this going to develop into a long running saga?

How long have you had it? If it is (as you say) fairly recent, then you are entitled to a refund (from the shop, not the manufacturer) as the goods were not "fit for purpose". That is the law and there are no ifs or buts.

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    I bought a new scope fairly recently - a Bushnell. A big step up for me!
    Initially extremely pleased. Just what I wanted.
    Now the weather's gone all autumnal, and after it's first outing in adverse weather conditions it completely fogged up inside.

So, back to shop. It's under warranty. I expected a simple replacement and end of story (although there's always the risk that there's a whole batch of dodgy ones out there), but no. Chap in the shop just 'phoned to say that it's got to be sent to Germany for repair. Will take 3-4 weeks.

Just wondering what experience other folk have of having scopes repaired (either with or without warranty) - will it really come back better than new, or is this going to develop into a long running saga?
    I sent a Redfield scope back for repair once. It took a year to return. It was in A1 condition when it came back. Regards JCS

which bushnell model was it

Quote Originally Posted by bobby18 View Post
    which bushnell model was it
    Banner 3-9x50mm illuminated 713959i

Quote Originally Posted by Pothunter View Post
    How long have you had it? If it is (as you say) fairly recent, then you are entitled to a refund (from the shop, not the manufacturer) as the goods were not "fit for purpose". That is the law and there are no ifs or buts.
    Correct - but make it explicit to the retailer that you are rejecting the scope.

How long you've had it does matter; if you bought it after Oct 1st this year, under the Consumer Rights Act you have 30 days to reject and seek a refund, beyond that the retailer may either repair or replace. Prior to Oct 1st, the Sale of Goods Act applied and you have a 'reasonable time' to reject. 'Reasonable' is dependent upon the type of product and how obvious the fault is.
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Reject it under the Sales of Goods Act as not fit for purpose, and demand a full refund or a Credit note towards another product.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Sale of Goods Act I think says "refund OR repair" and which is at the discretion of the vendor, not the buyer. You can insist on a refund but he's within his rights to offer a repair instead. Only change to that is if it was bought at distance (internet) where the Distance Selling Regs allow you to a full refund within the first month (used to be 7 days). End result though is that the goods have to be of satisfactory quality and the timescale for repair must be reasonable. I'd say anything up to a month would be reasonable as the manufacturers need to inspect, disassemble, repair, and test the scope before posting it back. Anything more might e taking the micky a bit. I know that with Leupold, their warranties are good and if you have to send your scope to the USA for repair, often they'll send it back in A1 condition, repair done and scope fully serviced with little or no charge (I know several owners who've had this treatment) which sort of shows why they're so popular. Can't say for Bushnell but have been told that quality isn't what it once was under the B&L days (some Bushnells I understand were made by B&L).

Probably repair is the best option, and I'll just have to sit tight and wait.
    If I'd been given an identical replacement it could well have come from the same batch and suffered the same problem.
    If I'd asked for a refund I wouldn't have enough cash to buy another scope of similar quality, as I managed to get a considerable price reduction on the one I bought.
    By all accounts, it appears that a repaired scope is likely to come back in A1 condition. Here's hoping...

An update:
    The sent the scope back saying they couldn't find anything wrong with it!
    This is what it looked like on the day I returned it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0328.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	63825

Now, I may not be very experienced in these matters, but it definitely looks like there's something wrong to me!