Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman gen 5

Lyman gen 5

Thoughts on these guys? Sick of the thrower and 505's

also cheapest place for these too

thanks

Digital meters/measures are finicky and prone to breakdown as well as localized interference. (cell phones, etc) Average life span about 4 years. I'm guessing you weigh each charge? Stop. Buy a really good powder thrower like the Harrell or Jones, and then only use the scale to set the measure. My Jones will throw 4350 to .2 grains. The Harrell is about as good.~Muir

You already have one of the best sets of scales out there, why not add a TargetMaster Trickler to it?, superb accuracy and a lot cheaper than an auto powder dispenser.

TARGETMASTER - An altogether better trickler

Everyone who has one is 110% happy with them, they really are a superb bit of kit, and no, I'm not on commission, just a very happy customer!
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

Aye I've seen these. What sort of time does it take to trickle say 47gr?

I have used a Lyman trickler but sold it as although it speeded up the loading a bit, the waiting for it to warm up and cleaning it out meant there was little if any time saving overall, so went back to powder dispenser, 5-0-5 & trickler. I had thought of getting a targetmaster but was recently very fortunate to pick up a second hand Neil Jones powder thrower. Truth to tell, I didn't really know what I had. When I got it home I set it up and did about 40 test throws in a row - it was spot on every time. It's a really well engineered bit of kit - I doubt I'll need another powder dispenser, ever.

Depends how closely you drop the initial charge from your powder thrower. I usually set my powder measure to drop about 1 to 1.5gr of the target weight (so the 5-0-5 scale is just starting to raise) then trickle up, only takes a couple of seconds or so.

If you're anywhere near Durham at any time you're more then welcome to come and try mine
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

The neil Jones measures do look like a good bit of kit. I just can't seem to get my uni flow to consistently throw. Do any of them? Lost trust in it so weigh every single charge it throws.

Afraid I'm nowhere near Durham Phaedra. Thanks for the offer though.

Quote Originally Posted by Psjunkie View Post
    The neil Jones measures do look like a good bit of kit. I just can't seem to get my uni flow to consistently throw. Do any of them? Lost trust in it so weigh every single charge it throws.
    I love my Jones. I don't weigh individual charges now unless under special circumstances.

How 'bad' is your RCBS?? And what powder for what cartridge?~Muir

It can be up to a couple of gr either side of what I'm wanting. Powder is n133 or n160