Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new knife to replace mora

new knife to replace mora

hello everyone,

I am after a new knife to replace my mora, I like the mora but I cannot seem to get a good enough edge on it using my lanksy, im after a half decent knife with a normal grind that will work with my lanksy better, if if not an idiot proof method of getting a decent edge on my mora?
    any suggestions will be much appreciated,

thanks

have a look at havalon knives,no need to sharpen (although there is a video on you tube on sharpening the blades) just replace the blade,just bought one and very impressed

Here's my recipe for having a sharp blade at hand and not breaking the bank:

I have 10pcs of this basic Mora (also stainless version available), they cost 3.90 Euro each or something:

MORAKNIV BASIC 511

I modified two of the scabbards by cutting of the rigid plastic belt attachment and replacing with webbing, so the scabbard moves easily when you e.g. sit. I also wrapped the scabbards in camo tape to take out the hollow plastic noise. These scabbards are on the belt of two hunting trousers. I also cut of the silly stacking nib on all of the scabbards.

Rest of the scabbards are in the car, in the rucksack etc. When a blade gets use, I replace it with a fresh blade after getting home. I don't judge whether it's dulled, I just replace it in the scabbard. I may also replace the blade on my belt with a blade from the car during the day if needed.

When I get several blades waiting to be sharpened, I use a largish flat diamond stone (Dianova) and sharpen them taking care to preserve the grind angle. It doesn't take a lot of work to restore the edge, so it's nice to have few blades to sharpen at one go. I don't use my blades as screwdrivers etc. like some people are tempted with these cheap ones, though...

Hi Tomm, ive been using a buck lite 679 max (orange) for the last few years. Very impressed and always able to get a good edge back on it. From my perspective highly recommended
    http://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/knives-m...ge-orange-.htm
    Cheers
    Robbo

I don't believe there is any such thing as a knife you don't need to sharpen! I like a fashion knife but I have been using a mora for the last year. They are very practical and I don't think you can beat them for cost effectiveness. I haven't had any problems sharpening mine.
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
    hello everyone,

I am after a new knife to replace my mora, I like the mora but I cannot seem to get a good enough edge on it using my lanksy, im after a half decent knife with a normal grind that will work with my lanksy better, if if not an idiot proof method of getting a decent edge on my mora?
    any suggestions will be much appreciated,

thanks
    The Mora knives that I have are able to take and hold a good edge.

It would seem to be a problem with your sharpening system.

I use either diamond sharpeners or oil stones. The removal of the burr thrown up by the stones seems to be the difference in apparent sharpness. A strop or polish with a rotary mop to remove the burr, gives the razor effect.

If you look closely at the edge and can see a line of light along it, you have a problem. My woodworker father had this mnemonic "If you can see an edge...there isn't one"

The cutting edge is just two planes coming together. If the planes don't meet, or if there is a burr attached then you will see light reflection from it.

It is worth working at to get right.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post

It would seem to be a problem with your sharpening system.
    I understood from the original post that Tomm knows his sharpening system (that he finds convenient to use and idiot proof) is designed for steeper angles found in knives, whereas Mora has angle that's found in "puukko" knives (more or less known as scandi grind in knife industry).

My approach is twofold:

- don't get the Mora very dull, so it's easier to sharpen and follow the original grind angle
    - sharpen several at one go, at the time of your choosing and using decent equipment

There's sharpening systems that allow adjusting for puukko grind angle, probably best and most expensive being Tormek from Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by jthyttin View Post
    I understood from the original post that Tomm knows his sharpening system (that he finds convenient to use and idiot proof) is designed for steeper angles found in knives, whereas Mora has angle that's found in "puukko" knives (more or less known as scandi grind in knife industry).

My approach is twofold:

- don't get the Mora very dull, so it's easier to sharpen and follow the original grind angle
    - sharpen several at one go, at the time of your choosing and using decent equipment

There's sharpening systems that allow adjusting for puukko grind angle, probably best and most expensive being Tormek from Sweden.

Maybe a bad choice of words on my part. Perhaps I should have said sharpening regime.

Maybe I have misunderstood the OP but he says he likes the Mora. So changing a blade profile you like for the arbitrary one which your sharpener is designed for seems slightly strange to me..

But in case there are pro-lanskyites reading, I was not referring to the physical mechanism but the process. Moras can be sharpened successfully. If the OP cannot, it is a problem with the sharpening and not the knife.

I don't know exactly what the "lansky" he refers to comprises, but I hazard it is some sort of guided system. The trouble with guided systems is that if it is not appropriate for the existing blade profile it has a lot of metal to move before it can achieve an edge.

I have always sharpened freehand, the advantage being you can follow the existing angles of any profile, or adjust it to suit your preference. My post was mainly to help the OP learn what to look for when sharpening, whatever the system or process used, or angle required come to that.

Alan
    Last edited by Alantoo; 27-10-2015 at 13:12.

There is also a Lansky blade medic sharpener which I'm not sure is good method apart from in the field emergencies.

It takes some practice but a good whetstone with a leather strop for polishing the edge can't really be beaten. Starkie Sharp do a whetstone called 'diasharp' which they do with a leather cover for polishing that I would recommend.
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

Tomm, I use a Lanksy on my Mora knives and use the outer holes every time. This gives a sharp and strong edge. I'm happy to sharpen it for you although the cost of the two way postage would probably rule that out? However, if not, get on you tube and see how the experts do it. I suspect that it's your technique?
    baguio
    Last edited by baguio; 27-10-2015 at 18:17.