Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is being a member of the EU a threat to hunting?

Is being a member of the EU a threat to hunting?

IMHO YES. I feel that the current Mirror poll showing 86% of the public are in favour of driven game shooting, the work done by all the shooting organisations and members of the hunting community influencing their mp's only really leaves the back door route of EU 'law' adversly affecting the status quo in the short term. We will hopefully be able to close this stable door in the near future before this horse has bolted.
    There is also the very real possibility of lead being banned for hunting via this route as has already happened with artists paint.

SD Regular
    It was only our membership of the EU that obliged the Tory Government to put in place a full compensation scheme for their fullbore handgun ban.

Because of the EU case law that had arisen in the early 1990s.

In 1988, although, yes we were in the EU, Thatcher was not obliged to (and so didn't) do so for her self-loading rifle ban. EU of case law at that time not having visited the issue.

Similarly when mink farming was banned in the UK also.

People complain about the EU, and yes it should have not enlarged to include the countries of the old Iron Curtain states.

Yet whilst my grandfather fought in one European war, WWI, and my father the subsequent European war, WWII, I have been spared that horror because of the creation of the EU.

In two weeks time we remember the dead of principally those two wars. Had there been an EU created after WWI would be remembering the dead of only one war...1914-18...and not of two?
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 27-10-2015 at 07:07.

Well said Enfield.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Had there been an EU created after WWI would be remembering the dead of only one war...1914-18...and not of two?
    With all due respect that is pure conjecture.

What is evident from some of our fellow European countries is that proportional representation has given extremist groups such as "Green" parties the balance of power and allowed them to disrupt good wildlife management, sensible conservation measures and hunting. For an example of this look no further than Holland and Oostvaardersplassen .

atb Tim

What would the EU be able /willing to do to prevent Putin & his cronies from going for it then?.... EU, superstate by the back door, what irks me very badly is our "High court" has it's hands tied by Brussels, the only items I want from Brussels are the greens with Sunday lunch!!!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    It was only our membership of the EU that obliged the Tory Government to put in place a full compensation scheme for their fullbore handgun ban.
    What has that got to do with hunting?

It is true that the EU was created to bring distant European states 'together' to reduce the possibility of future wars. An interesting irony that Germany, rebuilt after the second world war it started by its conquerors should eventually lead and define the policy of the new Europe it could not achieve by force.
    There is no point to keep alive the old antipathy but the generation before me would not buy German goods and always had a deep suspicion of the motives of an arrogant German state.
    Surprisingly therefore it is the Germans and the 'outstanding' Nordic states where hunting is still truly, a way of life, if grossly over-regulated (principally Germany). It is the EU which, in its misguided way, suggests that lead damages health and extends that truism into areas where it has no relevance. Lead - free petrol is a must, shot in game isnt. Its this lack of specificity which will bear most heavily on minority interests, like shooting.
    My personal view is that the EU is a 'curates egg' some good, a lot bad. There are numerous stupidities like straight bananas and cucumbers where the EU has no place but standardisation in other areas has proved useful. It should not be a policy making forum based upon economic power and it has never had its accounts signed off. Its a club which needs major overhaul and is permeated by fraud and nepotism, not to mention an army of bureaucrats who don't live in the 'real' world.

Would I be rid of it, probably not if it were as it should be , but it would be stupid to stay in, in its current bloated, corrupt and interfering state. We also and rather critically, do not seem to produce the kind of politician anymore who can kick the beast into shape. Are shooting interests safe in the EU anymore than outside it ? I would say, does Europe come to the UK to shoot? I would 'stand-off' and negotiate a different agreement and develop ties to the East as a bridge between two other great hunting nations - the US and Russia.
    Sadly we cut the ties with an even more worthwhile market place - the commonwealth of countries, I'm sure that's unlikely to re-surface given the manner in which we abandoned the trade partnerships, although we have much more in common with our shooting 'cousins' in Australasia. I think its also a time to look inward and realise to succeed fully, we need to manufacture, sporting guns would be part of that.
    Last edited by kes; 27-10-2015 at 08:23.

Quote Originally Posted by N1mr0d View Post
    only really leaves the back door route of EU 'law' adversly affecting the status quo in the short term.
    What current EU 'laws' relating to hunting would be detrimental to UK hunters then? I see many EU member states having far more pragmatic and sensible laws and attitudes to hunting and firearms than the draconian laws and licensing regimes in the UK - and they are operating within the EU Weapons Directive.

EU weapons directive could do with looking at all the arse about face rules & regs with different airlines & airports, regarding carriage of, EU bang on about standardisation don't they?.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

The eu isn't that old (1993 if I remember right?) it grew out of the eec which in turn came from the ec. The eu doesn't really embody the original purpose of the ec.....