Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6mm ppc and deer legal?

6mm ppc and deer legal?

OK guys I'm now the proud owner of a 6mmppc sako 75 24" 1/12twist.
    It's been granted for deer,reading the laws / guidlines, I need a 100g bullet and to send it on its merry way with a mv of over 1700. Is that the law or have I miss read it.
    I will be homloading for it once i have accumulated some more brass. It's for small deer as in muntjac and roe,I have a 308 also.

It doesn't have to be a 100gr bullet and it needs a muzzle ENERGY (not MV/muzzle velocity) of 1700 ft-lbs of you plan to use it on Roe.

From my VERY limited knowledge of 6mm PPC you may struggle to hit 1700 ft-lbs. It'll be great for muntjac though which only requires 1000 ft-lbs (amongst other things).

Check out Chap 14:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ng_Law_v13.pdf
    Last edited by Greener Jim; 28-10-2015 at 22:54.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Thanks for that I must have got mixed up between the lines. Been doing my best to read through everything to get it right.

It's all pretty bloody confusing to be honest mate.

I wouldn't want to rain on your parade as Americans say, but what you have there is basically a varmint / factory match rifle. (Like hen's teeth - much sought after for the factory rifle class in short-range benchrest competition.)

The problem is the 12 inch twist rate - no way will it stabilise any 100gn bullet on the market, or any bullet anywhere near that weight. It'll only stabilise much shorter (hence lighter) bullets which are mostly fast fragmenting varmint types. The Sierra 80gn Blitz is listed as 0.894" OAL by bullet guru Bryan Litz. Run that weight and length through the Miller twist rule spreadsheet at 3,000 fps and it will stabilise in that twist rate, not optimally, but with a high enough stability coefficient to group reasonably well. That's the type of bullet you're limited to.

You have to produce 1,700 ft/lb ME in England and Wales and you need somewhere around 3,125 fps MV from an 80gn bullet to achieve that. QuickLOAD says that such MVs are feasible from a 24-inch barrel 6PPC if you bust a gut and use a small number of very high energy powders. You'd need to take advice on light bullet suitability for Muntjac and Roe though.

You'd be OK north of the border for Roe as the Scottish Deer Act has a much lower energy floor provided you meet a velocity requirement which the PPC does easily.

Thanks for the info Laurie and Jim. I was very lucky and came across the rifle by chance. I'm doing my best to cut down on rifles and concentrate on on a couple,my thinking is I can replace my 223 fox/target rifle with it and sell my 308 target deer rifle. As said I have been researching loads and collecting brass,I found some sako hammerhead 70g, they shoot well. Laurie what powders are best suited. I was thinking of using N133 for target and fox using vmax or Amax 65g/75g and undecided about deer round loads yet.
    Cheers Andy.

I've never seen 70gr .243" Hammerheads and they aren't listed on the Sako site, are you sure they are hammerheads?
    I've only seen ballistic tips in that weight

I did it again sorry.
    6mmpc USA racehead Sierra 4,5g hollow point BT 70g.
    Had a rough night at work and not slept well today.

Yeah I know that feeling mate. Not to insult your intelligence but you know those bullets aren't hunting bullets right?

Yes I bought them for target work and to collect the brass.
    I'm currently sourcing bullets. I can get vmax 58g and 70g blitzking and N133 was after ccibr4 primers but stocks have dried up my way,going to try federal 205 match. The 6mm Is only used for target untill I sort some loads out. My 223 and 308 are covering the hunting at the minute.