Thread: 7x64 for driven pigs.

7x64 for driven pigs.

Of the back of my other post on the 308win I now wish to pick people brains to save me a lot of waisted time etc.

I have a customised 7X64, its got a 19 1/2 inch fast twist [less than 1-9] BSA barrel.
    I want to use it for driven game, mostly pigs any sugestions from tried and tested bullet powder combos.
    Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by levigsp View Post
    Of the back of my other post on the 308win I now wish to pick people brains to save me a lot of waisted time etc.

I have a customised 7X64, its got a 19 1/2 inch fast twist [less than 1-9] BSA barrel.
    I want to use it for driven game, mostly pigs any sugestions from tried and tested bullet powder combos.
    Thank you in advance.
    Just out of interest what are you currently using?

Up until this year I have been using a BSA 7x64 with 24" barrel norma Vulcan 170gn on top of 49gn N160 for stalking pigs, and the same or 26in Strasser 300wm on driven shoots, the latter using prohunter 220 gn on top of 78.4gn N570, this gun realy did stop everything it its tracks, but didnt do my head and back any good.

Thousands of pigs every year fall to the 7x64. The large 170 gun tough bullets will be the preferred option and given the long bullet will have similar penetration etc to the 220gn 30 cal bullet. Ok you have slightly less bullet weight, and it will make a slightly small hole, but not sure any pig would notice the difference on a correctly placed shot. Long heavy for calibre bullets at moderate velocity have far more killing power than they should.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Thousands of pigs every year fall to the 7x64. The large 170 gun tough bullets will be the preferred option and given the long bullet will have similar penetration etc to the 220gn 30 cal bullet. Ok you have slightly less bullet weight, and it will make a slightly small hole, but not sure any pig would notice the difference on a correctly placed shot. Long heavy for calibre bullets at moderate velocity have far more killing power than they should.
    Thank you for the reply, I chose the 7x64 as I had killed a lot of animals with them in the past.
    However I have made this rifle short for a certain type of driven shooting and because the barrel is short I wanted to know if anyone had loads used in the same.
    I have a blank canvas to work with and I do not wish to go through the prossess of buying large numbers of different bullets, powders etc and working loads out, I was being lazy and thought that maybe someone had a similar gun and loaded for it and then pointing me in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by levigsp View Post
    Thank you for the reply, I chose the 7x64 as I had killed a lot of animals with them in the past.
    However I have made this rifle short for a certain type of driven shooting and because the barrel is short I wanted to know if anyone had loads used in the same.
    I have a blank canvas to work with and I do not wish to go through the prossess of buying large numbers of different bullets, powders etc and working loads out, I was being lazy and thought that maybe someone had a similar gun and loaded for it and then pointing me in the right direction.
    i have three 7x64s, including a Brno Mauser stutzen with double set triggers, claw mounts, etc.

Right now, I would lean towards a 160 grain bullet like the Speer Grand Slam or Swift A-Frame for more velocity, and because the high BC 160s maintain it. What powders do you have / can get?

RWS loads a 177-gr at 2,700 fps from a 600mm rifle.

Don't have specific experience of the 7x64 but I would choose a full case of Ramshot hunter under a 120gr Barnes TSX or similar copper monolithic bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    i have three 7x64s, including a Brno Mauser stutzen with double set triggers, claw mounts, etc.

Right now, I would lean towards a 160 grain bullet like the Speer Grand Slam or Swift A-Frame for more velocity, and because the high BC 160s maintain it. What powders do you have / can get?

RWS loads a 177-gr at 2,700 fps from a 600mm rifle.
    I can get just about anything powder wise, however I normaly use vihtavuori because its been great to use.

160 gr Speer GS
    Rem brass
    Rem, Win LR, CCI 200 primer
    56.0 gr VV N-160