Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When it all goes wrong

When it all goes wrong

Hi All

Thought I would share an outing with you that didnt go too well a bit back.

I took my stalking mate Andy to an estate a couple of miles from home to do a bit of Muntjac stalking.

We got there plenty early enough and stalked up a ride to the area I entended to leave Andy.

As we stalked up the ride approaching a small clearing with some young trees a very nice Muntjac buck stepped on to the ride, Andy got on the scope on him just in time to see him walk back in. I left Andy at the top of a bank over looking the clearing and continued on my way with "Max" my Gsp.

We stalked up the side of a pheasant pen and joined a ride, as we stalked along Max was winding a deer on the bank above us, eventually I got to the end of the ride without seeing a deer. Max was so convinced there as a deer there I stalked back along the ride retracing my steps about the point where he was indicting the deer suddenley a Muntjac buck burst out if a holly bush, barking as he went. He stopped up the bank behind another holly bush and continued to bark for about ten minutes, all the time I was giving little peeps on the buttalo keeping his attention. Evenually he edged foward giving me a clear neck shot off the sticks. The little .243 75 grain hollow point found its mark and with a thump and I saw the deer collapse in the scope. Great job done or so I thought

I walked up the bank with Max walking to heel as normal, when i got to the Muntjac he was stretched out on the floor, I got to within four foot of it and suddenley it was up like a shot and took off down the hill.
    Max is 3 years old next month and has never been used on a deer in anger, with out really thinking I sent him and within a few strides he was on the buck grabbing a back leg and then they went rolling down the steep bank together. I took off after them and as they hit the bottom they seperated and the buck was up again, Max was back on him in a flash and this time held him by the neck by the time I got there, the buck was just about dead and after getting Max off him I made 100%

So mixed emotions I was stressed by the suffering of the Muntjac caused by my shooting, then a panick when I checked the dog to see if we had got on the wrong end of one of the bucks tusks but chuffed to bits with my dog for sorting out my cock up.

I really hope he never has to do it again but it is very reassuring having a dog I now is more than capable of sorting any disasters walking by my side.

I have included a photo of the bullet damage to the bucks neck, I'm still amazed he ran at all, I obviousley hadn't hit the vertabrae but the damage was quite severe.

Another lesson learn't by a very proud dog owner

Cheers Wayne

Last edited by WAYNE DAVIES; 04-05-2010 at 15:55.

You are an honest man Wayne, a very good lesson! My lab will blood trail, but I doubt if she would have taken on a buck?! You have every right to be proud of your dog

I firmly believe that neck shooting needs the right bullet (fairly frangible), ortherwise your accuracy needs to be impeccable. Unless I am either shooting off the bi-pod (not often), or the deer is very close, i will not attempt a neck shot.

Mind you there are many better and more practised shots than me out there who stalk for a living who can do so with relative ease I am sure. I try and tailor my shooting to my ability, not ambition.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Good account Wayne. I have seen the scars on a Stalkers Spriger Spaniel from the aftermath of a similar situation. It was not a prety sight i can tell you. Max was a lucky lad not to get riped open by the bucks tusks.FM.

Hi Wayne,

I know how you feel, these dogs are to precious to allow to be injured and your heart is in your mouth until you get to check everything is ok! However Todd has had several instances of a similar nature over the last two seasons, although with Roe and Sika, and yet to see a Munty. Personally I think a dog like Max has the intiative and intelligence to know whether it can take a deer on, and your Max looks a strong well built dog that can take a few knocks, and it is also great experience for a deer dog as well.

Todd picked up a Roe buck this time last year at about 9pm a night that a Belgium client had gut shot, and fixed it on the spot in the dark in the middle of a 40 acre wood. I can tell you I was chuffed to bits with him.

All the best mate, chat soon

Sikamalc

Hi Wayne,
    Well done - it goes to show why a good dog is important; if you didn't have Max the muntjac would have suffered for far longer.
    M68

Good account and a good result Wayne and another example of why there are no hard and fast rules in stalking. Only experience can tell you (and your dog) how to react in those circumstances. I wish you wouldn't keep posting pictures of Max, my girlfriend and I are keen to get another GSP to go with the one we already have and she knows that Johns having a litter soon, I'm running out of reasons why not to buy a puppy! Best wishes, JC

Well done to Max,but,as my whippet found out to her cost a while ago a Muntjac Buck can give out very serious retribution,she was out on a walk and scented the Buck and ran off after it,and,she must of caught hold of a leg and paid the price...BIG TIME!
    And,before anyone thinks I am running deer with her,I most certainly wasn't,she is a rabbiting dog,and great addition to the ferreting team..........

Quote Originally Posted by re'M'ington View Post
    Well done to Max,but,as my whippet found out to her cost a while ago a Muntjac Buck can give out very serious retribution,she was out on a walk and scented the Buck and ran off after it,and,she must of caught hold of a leg and paid the price...BIG TIME!
    And,before anyone thinks I am running deer with her,I most certainly wasn't,she is a rabbiting dog,and great addition to the ferreting team
    Poor dog . If you were running deer you wouldnt be too bright posting a wound on the web, I think that long/running dogs are one of the best rabbiting tools,a nd have no doubt you are genuine!

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

wayne a good honest account
    having stalked with you and knowing how good max is you were well equipped
    to deal with a tricky situation that could of ended a lot worse
    as the saying goes those who say theve never messed up havent shot
    many deer
    all the best mate pete .

Just like his grandma eh mate she had 7 follow ups and 2 foxes in her 11 year career.
    Breeze had a great follow up on a gut shot beast in the dark the other week and tracked and pointed it where it was shot again.(by headlamp). With it being a buck I was happy she stood her ground and just pointed. But they are great insurance for sure. She will point deer at over 100m's now makes my job a little easier.
    Fran, Max's / Breezes mum is in pup again by the way so ask about will you mate, shes 8 soon so will be her last litter.
    Cheers john.
    Last edited by www.yorkshireroestalking.; 04-05-2010 at 16:22.