Thread: deer calls

deer calls

It seems that everyone has gone on holiday? not so many posting of late..

Anyone ever tried calling fallow deer and had any results, if fact is it worth bothering with at all.

I see our American friends have calls galore,do we even have a good fallow call?

Tony.

The Primos Hardwood Grunter is very good and can be adjusted to give a number of different effects. I've called muntjac with it too!
    MS

Thanks Ms how did you work out what worked?have you actually called fallow in,if so could you share a few tips,
    Tone.

Yes I am all ears about this one. I have tried one of those grunters on fallow at differing times, I have to admit it is still an experiment. This call can be set by moving the rubber ring to differing pitches. I have yet to actually for sure call in a grunting fallow buck, but I have caught their attention and made them stop, and that with fallow seems valuable. I have also tried the higher pitch bleats to try to mimic the fallow does calling in the herd, and again, they seem to listen and not necessarily piss off, so maybe I am there but not quite. Not surprising as the grunter was designed for whitetail. It surprises me that Europeans do not try to call fallow. Shall we develop a call?

I was calling just before dark the other night with a nordik grunter which is supposed to be suitable for fallow bucks and a roe doe came walking up within about 5 metres of me

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Try banging some antlers together, make it sound like 2 bucks fighting. Mr. Big may try to slip in an run off with the doe. Works real good on whitetails. I have never done it though.

No luck so far.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

[QUOTE=tony rentokil;1034318]It seems that everyone has gone on holiday? not so many posting of late..

Anyone ever tried calling fallow deer and had any results, if fact is it worth bothering with at all.

I see our American friends have calls galore,do we even have a good fallow call?

IMHO save your money. In 40 years of Stalking Fallow more often than not if you try to call/grunt a Rutting Fallow he will fall silent then disappear.
    But if you keep away from his stand you might just get a loved up Pricket or lesser Buck see what the noise is about if I attempt this method I use my mouth by Burping/grunting.
    I personally have never ever seen 2 Bucks side by side Rutting/Grunting in the UK like I've seen in eg Hungary
    This morning I was outside a wood where a Buck was Rutting big time by keeping quiet approximately 400 yards away I managed to shoot 3 Pricket and a rubbish Buck coming or going to the Rutting Buck.
    Having collected my Deer without my Rifle I stalked to within 80 yards of the hidden Buck who was still Grunting and Groaning to try and access his quality whilst 12 doe's and 3 Pricket's milled about he stayed well hidden so I tried calling !!!!!! Result I never see or heard the Buck again But the other Deer stayed around.
    Long winded but but that's the result I've seen 99% with calling Rutting Fallow Bucks close to their stands

My success has only come when you are close enough to get under their skin.

When a buck does come charging out, it does get the heart rate pumping!