Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Condition Help Please

Open Condition Help Please

Hi Guys,

I have an open condition on FAC for my .308 for stalking and i am in the process of renewing and had a visit from my FEO yesterday. I have a piece of land down in West Sussex that I can shoot other but otherwise I buy my stalking off local estates. My Question is the land I have has been cleared for .22 but MY FEO says this is not suitable to stalking and I need a piece of land thats suitable for the 308. Surely though on an open ticket It is up to me to say whether the land is suitable to shoot over. It feels like I have an open ticket and now they are adding a condition that says I can not choose suitable land. Any one have any idea's, This is Hampshire i am dealing with.

Regards,

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by siamsteve1968 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have an open condition on FAC for my .308 for stalking and i am in the process of renewing and had a visit from my FEO yesterday. I have a piece of land down in West Sussex that I can shoot other but otherwise I buy my stalking off local estates. My Question is the land I have has been cleared for .22 but MY FEO says this is not suitable to stalking and I need a piece of land thats suitable for the 308. Surely though on an open ticket It is up to me to say whether the land is suitable to shoot over. It feels like I have an open ticket and now they are adding a condition that says I can not choose suitable land. Any one have any idea's, This is Hampshire i am dealing with.

Regards,

Steven
    You're right, but he may mean the land isn't suitable to serve as your "good reason" for the 308.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Watch with interest - mine is open but have ground cleared for full bore.

However, my ground that I'm setting my range on is only cleared for rimfire by West Mercia - is this another grey area?
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

You don't need to have "a piece of ground" to assign your rifle to. Your good reason is that you stalk deer and so need a deer legal calibre rifle. In your case a .308W. You have already told them that you pay for your stalking on others ground and this would be a perfectly sensible reason to have an open ticket. Otherwise as shown in the past people could potentially get caught in the awkward situation of being on ground not passed for their caliber half way through a stalk. If you then chose to use said .308 on "your" ground, well that's your choice and responsibility.

Surely its down to you to show that you have carried out a risk assessment and put appropriate procedures in place to make it safe and suitable for using as a zeroing range. ie Damn great mound of soil or similar to form a safe backstop that will stop and contain the bullet, suitable signage to warn people. safe operating procedures etc ?

SimpleSimon has it. Presumably you've now put your named land on the renewal application as part of your 'good reason' for the .308, rather than the previous stalking with others? If so it is possible that the FLD want the land to be suitable/inspected for that calibre in exactly the same way as an initial grant. It's a subtle change and the FLD could of course accept your previous 'good reason', (they can exercise discretion in this, see HO Guidance below), but if not then your existing open certificate status doesn't have an influence on it.

13.4 Apart from having a “good reason” in principle, an applicant’s reasons for owning firearms
    should be genuine. Equally, any reason to refuse an application must be clearly justified
    and explained. Chief officers of police should exercise caution in dealing with cases where
    the applicant presents a nominal reason for possessing firearms but may have ulterior
    motives. The police will be expected to make reasonable inquiries to verify the applicant’s
    “good reason” for the possession of firearms. This may include:
    i. a request for written authorities where relevant (and possible).
    ii. verification of the likelihood of the quarry species being present.
    iii. the suitability of land for the firearms requested commensurate with the
    applicant’s experience.
    iv. their authority to shoot on the land; and,
    v. in the case of target shooters: verification of club membership and shooting activities.

Then again, if you haven't nominated your own land as 'good reason; and it remains as before; then the FEO is wrong!.
    Last edited by Orion; 30-10-2015 at 09:58.

Hi Guys,

Regards,

Steven
    It sounds like it was just a comment on your land. Your open ticket allows you to shoot on any land over which you have lawful authority to shoot. At the end of the day it is your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford View Post
    However, my ground that I'm setting my range on is only cleared for rimfire by West Mercia - is this another grey area?
    No, not at all - unless you are nominating it as part of your 'good reason' for the .308.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    No, not at all - unless you are nominating it as part of your 'good reason' for the .308.
    thanks - always makes you second guess when these threads pop up
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Hi Guys,

Regards,

Steven
    So this is normal the land has been police cleared up to rimfire so any body like me with a closed ticket can shoot it up to that restriction so i cant use my 6.5mm

you have an open ticket so can choose to shoot it regardless of the police clearance.

but if used as reason they may say it needs to be police cleared for that specific purpouse

however Good reason is paid for or invitational stalking with others which you do and i assume can proof to justify good reason on its own so you shouldnt need a piece of cleared land