Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 243 100gr and carcass damage.

243 100gr and carcass damage.

I shoot a 243 and use Sako 100 gr factory ammo. I am getting a lot of carcass damage (heart/lung shot) so quite a bit of meat is going to waste.
    If I dropped down to a lighter bullet (90gr) would that reduce the damage?
    Cheers.
    Virtutis Gloria Merces

I would say it would be worse as the 90g will be going quicker.
    Jase.

Quote Originally Posted by cerealthriller View Post
    I shoot a 243 and use Sako 100 gr factory ammo. I am getting a lot of carcass damage (heart/lung shot) so quite a bit of meat is going to waste.
    Cheers.
    Probably not - in general a 90gr will be going quite a lot faster, which theoretically will cause more damage.

However - this may not be the case in this specific instance. I used Sako 90gr for a while, and found the bullets to be very hard. This meant that they tended not to expand very well, and tended to pencil through. This meant that I had more runners than I'd had with 100gr (even though there was less meat damage).

I eventually gave up on them, and moved to Hornady 95gr SSTs. These work perfectly for me.

I would also recommend Federal 100grs (the standard blue box ones). Worked extremely well for me in my old rifle. The only reason I stopped using them was because my new rifle can't stabilise 100gr rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Probably not - in general a 90gr will be going quite a lot faster, which theoretically will cause more damage.
    +1

Which round are you using? As far as I can tell from their website, they do an ordinary SP and a bonded SP. Couldn't see a tipped 100gr round but that could be my incompetence.

I'd expect bonded to do less damage than a plain SP, and a plain SP to do less than a tipped bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by neutron619 View Post
    +1

Which round are you using? As far as I can tell from their website, they do an ordinary SP and a bonded SP. Couldn't see a tipped 100gr round but that could be my incompetence.

I'd expect bonded to do less damage than a plain SP, and a plain SP to do less than a tipped bullet.
    I have to admit I'm not really sure - I think the Sako 90grs I was using were just SPs. They were very accurate, and worked well if you put them through a shoulder. But through ribs, and they just slipped by with calibre sized entry and exit.

not a fan of sako ammo myself
    but a 100gr .243 in standard cup and core soft point stuck BEHIND the front leg bone shouldn't be doing excessive damage
    weight has little to do with it other than impacting the main factor...velocity
    bullet construction, velocity and placement are the key factors

quantify your "lot of carcass damage"

what are we talking here?
    bit of bruising or massive holes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    I have to admit I'm not really sure - I think the Sako 90grs I was using were just SPs. They were very accurate, and worked well if you put them through a shoulder. But through ribs, and they just slipped by with calibre sized entry and exit.
    Well - I did mean for that to be addressed to the OP, but the pencilling is an interesting issue, albeit, one which I'm far less able to explain or understand.

I use the Sako Gamehead rounds as I find them very accurate in my rifle, although like Mungo I find them quite hard. Shot a fox at about 40 yards front on in the chest & couldn't find an entrance or exit wound without skinning it, which I wasn't prepared to do; dropped on the spot, though.

Is it the Gameheads or the Deerheads you're using, what sort of range & have you shot at targets with them? I can't imagine that this would be the case but some 100's & 105's have actually tumbled from my rifle but you'd have seen that if you'd shot at targets & they wouldn't be very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by cerealthriller View Post
    Cheers.

Federal power shock 100g

groups well in my Sako and meet damage is not bad

I do tend to wait for a good broad side shot and try to go through the rib cage both sides. Catching a sholder (well elbow realy) is the worst

Worst I have had is half a front leg binned when a trainee took a quartering shot with my 243. The buck went down hard but we lost a bit of meet to the dreded red jelly

ATB

Chasey

Thanks for the replies.
    I'm using Sako Gamehead 113E soft point.
    Very accurate, and no problem dropping Deer.
    Damage is the red jelly, but quite a lot of it.
    If shot just behind front leg hitting the top of the heart it extends quite far up under and around 'the armpits' on both sides and affects a lot of meat around the shoulders.
    Virtutis Gloria Merces