Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting if you don't have your FAC with you

Shooting if you don't have your FAC with you

I've searched here but can't find an answer, if it's been done to death I apologise and will go and hang my head in shame.

I have also left a message for BASC to get back to me but meanwhile I'd be interested to hear what people believe is the answer.

I was just speaking with a FEO and I understood him to say at one point that it was a legal requirement to have your FAC in your possession while you are shooting.

Is that true?
    Wood stabilising at packratwoods.uk
    UK knife chat at edgematters.uk

No I don't believe so. But if you don't have it, then your gun can be confiscated till you can produce it. I'm sure that's the case with SGC. Think with FAC also.

No.

However, if you are stopped by the police and they are unable to satisfy themselves that you hold a valid certificate then they may confiscate your firearms until you can produce your certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothunter View Post
    No I don't believe so. But if you don't have it, then your gun can be confiscated till you can produce it. I'm sure that's the case with SGC. Think with FAC also.
    Also true!

SD Regular
    You need to be in possession of a valid FAC (i.e. have a current licence to hold and shoot the firearms in hand), not necessarily have it about your person. They can soon check records and entitlement via PNC if they really want to find out.....

I know several people who carry a photocopy/scan of it - but there seems little point in that IMO.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I have a decent photo of my FAC on my phone, that way, should I get stopped, I can show them that, they will be able to check with PNC in a split second if I am who I say I am and whether I have authority to possess.... if they want to see the original they can follow me home (fortunately all my stalking is within about 2 miles of my house, if I was going further afield I would take my ticket with me though).

Edit, Eric the red types faster than me!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

I'm not sure if its an actual legal requirement, but I'd think its something that should be best practice for all shooters regardless of what they shoot.

Imagine if you were stopped by the police on the way to or from a shoot, had your gun but couldnt demonstrate you hold it legally - Even if the police didnt arrest you I would imagine they'd confiscate the gun until such time you could present your licence to show you do legally hold it.

I'd say theres probably even more case for carrying your licence if you're a lone stalker as you're probably more likely to have Granny Smith call the police because "Theres a man with a GUN!!" in a nearby field and then need to explain yourself, as opposed to someone shooting the Imperial match at Bisley with thousands of other people also all with guns!

And TBH if your FEO is saying its a legal requirement (even if that ultimately turns out to be incorrect to the exact letter of the law) it sounds like they would probably take a fairly dim view if you happened to be caught out without it, so probably best to take it with you to avoid any problems.

Ok thanks everyone, that's what I thought.

Perhaps he was trying to convince me to simplify the variation I'm about to put in, because he said keep it simple and it'll be quicker, "which is obviously better as you can't shoot without it". At least I think that's what he said; I may have simply misunderstood.

If mine is in for a variation I always have a good pic of it on my phone, and have my passport & driving licence on me. I'm sure if there was any kind of incident they could satisfy themselves pretty quickly that I was me.
    Wood stabilising at packratwoods.uk
    UK knife chat at edgematters.uk

SD Regular
    Like Deerstalkers idea of the photo. I have all my letters of Authority and maps on my phone - but never thought to include FAC/SGC. I shall amend. All I would say about that is that it is personal information and therefore you should ensure you can lock and remotely wipe your phone, just in case.....

The only time, as above, that I carry formal licence, insurance etc. is if I am away (and mainly because I may need to buy ammo .... or something....) - and/or I think it provides comfort to the landowner concerned. I have a plastic pocket presentation folder with all the necessary docs in - easy to produce and they soon get the gist that you are experienced, professional etc.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........