Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Correct stalking practice?

Correct stalking practice?

Hi all having just booked my 1st deer stalk I'd like to know what are the correct practices?

Do I keep the rifle loaded whilst on my back?
    Do I load when ready to take a shot?
    Also do I stop and glass for deer or wait for the guide to stop?

I'm probably just thinking to much into it but suppose that's just me worrying lol.

Thanks all

One could generalise based on common practices, depending on whether you're in woods/farmland or on the hill, but on the whole I think these are questions which perhaps your stalker would be best-placed to answer.

You really need to talk to the guy that is taking you out. Hope it goes well

Who are you stalking with..... I understand not wanting to say.
    There is a lot more questions I'd be asking for a first stalk. Like said, ask the stalker, then put the info on here to what they say if unsure. Nothing wrong with cross referencing.
    Enjoy the experience, don't be afraid to ask questions direct before and after the stalk regardless of what you want to know. Don't feel off putting asking a question that may seem amituriesh. If they are worth the salt they should encourage or explain what and why they are undertaking the steps.

Good luck, keep us informed. Enjoy and learn from each experience.
    Last edited by weeman; 30-10-2015 at 22:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Dan View Post
    Hi all having just booked my 1st deer stalk I'd like to know what are the correct practices?

I'm probably just thinking to much into it but suppose that's just me worrying lol.

Thanks all
    Obviously ask your man as there are more things than the above to talk about - however, some basic rules of thumb I'd recommend below:

Load rifle but keep them under the bolt whilst stalking
    Walk behind your guide at approx. arms length - not only do you reduce your visible profile, you can easily follow experienced footsteps, tap to point out anything missed and also whisper anything pertinent (otherwise keep stum - he still gets paid if you chat so loud everything does one!)
    Wait for guide to stop and glass in the direction he indicates
    Load quietly (practice with some empty cases at home) when you've correctly confirmed species, sex and only if you are comfortable to take the shot

Most of all - ENJOY the experience - oh, and sort the financials out first too!!!!
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Thanks lads. He's kind of a friend of a friend. We're going to be shooting fallow does in Worcestershire. I'm paying 70 for the day. I can shoot upto 3 deer with the only charge being 50 a carcass if I want to keep any.

Thanks Dan

Thanks lads. He's kind of a friend of a friend. We're going to be shooting fallow does in Worcestershire. I'm paying 70 for the day. I can shoot upto 3 deer with the only charge being 50 a carcass if I want to keep any.

Thanks Dan
    Good value, that. Enjoy it, fingers crossed you'll get to pull the trigger.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Thanks Simon. I do hope I get to bag my first deer. I think I've had it at mates rates so a real bargain.

Thanks all
    Its nerve racking I know I was there last year

As above talk to your guide about what he wants you to do. My first pro stalk i started out by emailing and stating it was my first time out and requested a list of kit and preconditions

If its woodlands with rides or just plain woods it is very likley you will need the rifel loaded, safety on, on your sholder but be very very muzle aware especialy going under branches & check the safety is on every so often. Full on safety procedures are required on slipery ground crossing ditches etc. SO stop, unload, cross hazard, check rifel re load

I did woodland stalking with four diferent pro stalkers and they all wanted rifel loaded safety on.

If your in woodlands practice getting rifel to sticks quickly before you go out because you can get in a right mess and muzzle awareness can go out the window due to stress and thats not good at all

I had a trainee put rifel to sticks then both hands on the rifel. Sticks slid backwards and rifel sort of fell off the frront and ended up fortunatly pointing in the mud. He had done well to remember not to put his finger in the triger guard or I am sure we would have had an accidental discharge

Your shot window in woodlands is likley to be very small. Getting the rifel to stick safety off to fire is more than enough of a chalange let alone trying to cock the rifel without disterbing the deer

Open hill is totaly diferent and you could have the chamber empty and not load till you get on to a potential deer so see a deer at 400m? load up stalk in. I dont know if its cosha but for me I have the mag in my pocket empty rifel and in such a state i will cross ditches and climb fences with far less concern than with a loaded rifel

As for glassing a deer? you will do well to spot one the experianced guid hasn't but if you do then do not hesitate to stop and do what you want to do.

You after all are paying for the day

ATB

Chasey
    Last edited by Chasey; 31-10-2015 at 08:42.

It's all mostly common sense. Try not to over think it or you will be so busy trying to remember this and that, that you will not be relaxed.
    Just keep safety in mind and after that just go out and enjoy the day. If you are walking too far back or making too much noise or whatever, your guide will tell you.
    I enjoy the blank days as much as the successful days once I'm seeing fresh signs of deer. Good luck