Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roe does tomorrow???

Roe does tomorrow???

With the Reo Doe season opening (In England) tommorow who is going out to try for their first Roe Doe of the season?
    I have just spoken to the owner of a permission I have that is now holding a reasonable head of Roe and she has agreed that a bit of a cull is in order. My plan is to take out a few of the older females (there are a few that are showing themselves very regularly and could do will culling) but the landowner has said that she would like some venison in the freezer for Christmas so if I get a chance of one around 2 year old (A little more tender) then to take it and she will have some for Christmas.
    With that in mind I will be going out there ready for rifst light tomorrow morning!
    Anyone else going out for a doe tomorrow?

Don't forget that any does over 18 months old will almost certainly have dependant fawns in tow Frenchie! Sounds like your current plan is slightly flawed unless you're planning on taking the fawns out as well?
    baguio

I am Out tomorrow, am and pm. Have been looking forward to it! I think Roe Doe tastes the best

I am out all day tomorrow on a new FC lease,so hoping to make a good start although there is still a lot of cover about!!

The straps/fillet out of most beasts will be tender enough for your landowner, if you can stand the pain of giving them up!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Don't forget that any does over 18 months old will almost certainly have dependant fawns in tow Frenchie! Sounds like your current plan is slightly flawed unless you're planning on taking the fawns out as well?
    baguio
    Yes it might sound flawed if it were someone without any experience.
    However, I have been watching the deer on this relatively small permission for a good few seasons and have spent many more hours and days watching and observing them than I would care to count - It's surprising how much one can learn from just watching!
    With all due respect to you I believe that I have enough experience to know how important it is to watch and observe carefully in order to ensure that there are no followers or dependant young that I might leave orphaned before taking any shot!

It's good to hear people sharing concern for this year's fawns. The seasons would lead you to believe that young fawns are now independent of their mothers, but the fact that they remain with them would indicate otherwise. Roe in particular rely upon their mother teaching them 'life skills' long after the dependency for milk has passed.
    On the other hand, fallow may well be still taking milk but are less dependant. An orphaned fallow at this time will quite happily run with the herd and develop as it would have with its mother. They are even known to take milk from another mother, although that is less likely at this time of year. I think a good guideline for Roe is not to orphan any fawns until after Christmas.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    Yes it might sound flawed if it were someone without any experience.
    However, I have been watching the deer on this relatively small permission for a good few seasons and have spent many more hours and days watching and observing them than I would care to count - It's surprising how much one can learn from just watching!
    With all due respect to you I believe that I have enough experience to know how important it is to watch and observe carefully in order to ensure that there are no followers or dependant young that I might leave orphaned before taking any shot!
    That's fare enough. I'm sure that you can understand my comment though as some may not have the knowledge that you clearly have.
    Good luck for tomorrow.
    baguio

Good luck in filling the freezer tomorrow Pete,

if you need a hand anytime just holler , nudge nudge wink wink lol

roe is bleddy lovely, I had saddle of muntjac for tea last night, it's food of the gods. I'll soon be on the Roe does though.

i finally got in a stalking syndicate , YIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEE

atb

kjf

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    That's fare enough. I'm sure that you can understand my comment though as some may not have the knowledge that you clearly have.
    Good luck for tomorrow.
    baguio
    I quite understand the that your comment was not meant in any "undermining" or "adverse" way which is why I replied as politely as possible so as not to be thought of or seen as some sort of a "know it all"!
    Thanks for your input!

Kjf - Thanks for the offer but I'm sure I will manage this time out - The landowner has a quad that I can use for retrieval if need be!