Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Water Stones - Anyone use them?

Japanese Water Stones - Anyone use them?

Once again I am asking for a bit of advice from "those in the know" i.e. The Stalking Directory Members!
    I currently use a Fallkniven D4 and DC4 for sharpening all my hunting knives. They give me quite a good/acceptable edge (Certainly sharp enough to shave my arm with) but I have had the D4 and DC4 for quite a while and they are getting a little tired and worn out now so are ready to be replaced.
    The wife has just that said I ought to start thinking about something I can use and add to my "shooting bits and bobs" (As she calls all my shooting equipment) as a Christmas present so I thought about a new sharpening system for my knives - I do like to have my knives razor sharp when I need to use them.
    With this in mind I am starting to think about Japanese Water Stones. I have watched some videos and read a few articles about using Japanese Water Stones to sharpen knives but I have no practical experience at all with them.
    Do any of you guys out there use Japanese Water Stones for your hunting knives and if so what are they like to use - Would you recommend them?
    If I were to get one I was thinking about a combined 1000 and 6000 grit stone and a Nagura Stone - Would this be the sort of set up that you would recommend for getting and maintaining a really good edge on hunting knives?
    Other than that what sharpening system would you suggest/prefer and why?
    (I ought to just add that I think I am pretty reasonable at getting the sharpening angles near enough right when I am knife sharpening)
    Thanks in advance for any constructive replies/advice you offer!

Edit: I was thinking along the lines of something like this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/King-Japan...#ht_2547wt_952
    Last edited by FrenchieBoy; 31-10-2015 at 21:00. Reason: Adding extra information

I use waterstones 800 and 1200 and finish on a strop. I've got a dougster 'stalkers' knife that has elmax steel seems to work wonders getting a very slicy edge. For my other knives (Mora's, butchers knives,edc ect) I just use a dmt folding sharpener whilst not as good as the stones it quickly gets a practical edge.

The 1000/6000 grit combination stone you've listed would be ok, but imho the grits are a bit too far apart to get a really good edge (I'm a professional cabinet maker, so am a bit fussy about sharpening). You'll get a better edge if you use a 1000 grit to start, then 4000 and 8000 stones. Norton used to do a 4000/8000 white+yellow combination stone, probably still do, and while the 4000 is probably more like 3000 grit this combination will give you a great edge. No need to strop after the 8000; in fact stropping will usually round the edge over after 8000, so best not to do it at all.

Keep your waterstones flat by rubbing them on 240 grit wet & dry paper "stuck" with water to 10mm float glass every time you use them.

I can recommend the seller you've listed (Tyzacks), very good service.

they will be cool as long as you know how to sharpen a blade not saying you don't but you can get in a muddle, I use a wet stone my granddads its over 100yrs old now ,it still brings a good blade up to shaving sharp then as he did strop it with a light covering of fine hard finishing paste on it

A mate of mine uses stones to fettle trigger parts, Myself for knives I get by with these, https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...3YZKI41Ac_Yyfw
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Gosh Tyzacks are still around?
    I remember that name from my apprenticeship days as a patternmaker style of job (styling modelmaker).
    Martin

I have a collection of a dozen or so oil stones from my father and few from my woodworking days. It is great to have a range of grits to choose from. I do tend to leave those to sharpen hand plane blades and chisels though.

One of the most convenient knife sharpening tools that I use is the 6 in 1 triangular diamond and ceramic sharpener from DMT. It resides in the kitchen drawer and does not require a flat surface. You can just stand at the sink with a trickle of water and get a good edge on any blade.

I have had one for well over a decade and I gather that DMT no longer make them sadly.

However just last week I discovered a place on line that has some in stock, Buybrandtools. So I have ordered a replacement along with a replacement for my coarse and fine diafold by DMT which is also a great knife sharpener.

DMT 6Ceramic Triangle Sharpener

I have no link with this shop I just thoroughly recommend the product.

Alan
    Last edited by Alantoo; 01-11-2015 at 09:52. Reason: spelling

I sharpen all of my knives with 1000 and 6000 wet stones. I followed the video's from Carter Cutlery. I even purchased a knife from him... Amazing quality and razor sharp. Have a look at the link below. He has loads more videos on wet stone knife sharpening on you tube..

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    I sharpen all of my knives with 1000 and 6000 wet stones. I followed the video's from Carter Cutlery. I even purchased a knife from him... Amazing quality and razor sharp. Have a look at the link below. He has loads more videos on wet stone knife sharpening on you tube..

Day - Thanks for posting that video mate, it is a real eye opener. I have never heard of using a bit of newspaper on a water stone for stropping the edge - It's certainly something i will remember if I go down the Water Stone route!
    I'm still sitting on the fence but at the moment it does look like I will be getting a water stone for my knives!

I get great results with Carters technique. Good luck with your decision..

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    Day - Thanks for posting that video mate, it is a real eye opener. I have never heard of using a bit of newspaper on a water stone for stropping the edge - It's certainly something i will remember if I go down the Water Stone route!
    I'm still sitting on the fence but at the moment it does look like I will be getting a water stone for my knives!