Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1000 to spend on Rifle and scope, what would you recommend?

1000 to spend on Rifle and scope, what would you recommend?

So, I've got a grand to spend on a rifle and scope. I'm guessing second hand is the way to go. But I'm a complete novice so could do with some advice on what to look for and what to avoid, as well as some direct recommendations. I'm looking for .243, for roe stalking. Like I said, I'm a total beginner so imagine your explaining this to the village idiot and you'll be pitching at the right level.

Cheers
    Col

Quote Originally Posted by Co1 View Post
    So, I've got a grand to spend on a rifle and scope. I'm guessing second hand is the way to go. But I'm a complete novice so could do with some advice on what to look for and what to avoid, as well as some direct recommendations. I'm looking for .243, for roe stalking. Like I said, I'm a total beginner so imagine your explaining this to the village idiot and you'll be pitching at the right level.

Cheers
    Col
    If you want change from your grand you could do a lot worse than buying Stratts' BRNO as advertised in the classifieds. I'm not on commission or anything, but there really is a danger I'll end up buying it otherwise just to scratch an itch and fill my ticket...
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Normally, you would be advised to spend extra money on a good scope. I would say spend it on the rifle you can afford/want, and get a cheapy scope to start with until you can afford a good one.

If you really are a complete beginner, I'd say spend the money on buying staking rather than a rifle.

Buy a S/H Schmidt and bender 8x56 etc 350

which leaves 650 for rifle , mod and scope rings

you could be lucky and find a tikka t3

theres a lovely tikka t3 wood 243 in the classified forsale by Highbird Mark I can't remember the price tho

how about a 8x56 schmidt about 350 secondhand then somthing like a secondhand tikka with whats left 650 should get you somthing with a set of rings and maybe even a mod if your lucky but if theres no mod i wouldnt panic you can still use the rifle and you will be set with a top end scope and a very good rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Markfox View Post
    Buy a S/H Schmidt and bender 8x56 etc 350

which leaves 650 for rifle , mod and scope rings

you could be lucky and find a tikka t3

theres a lovely tikka t3 wood 243 in the classified forsale by Highbird Mark I can't remember the price tho

looks like you hit the post button just before me

May I ask why .243? It's a good cartridge so don't get me wrong but are you choosing that cartridge because you've looked at all possibilities or because your FEO is pushing you that way?

Regards rifles; Howa 1500 or Weatherby Vanguard are good new guns but secondhand you'll be able to get much more. I am presuming you will be running a moderator so make sure you get something that is screw cut at the muzzle.
    I would personally go 6-700 rifle and 3-400 for scope although some will say t'other way round.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Used Schmidt and Bender 6 x 42 and Sako 75 the perfect set-up.
    Cheers
    Richard