£1000 to spend on Rifle and scope, what would you recommend?

Co1

So, I've got a grand to spend on a rifle and scope. I'm guessing second hand is the way to go. But I'm a complete novice so could do with some advice on what to look for and what to avoid, as well as some direct recommendations. I'm looking for .243, for roe stalking. Like I said, I'm a total beginner so imagine your explaining this to the village idiot and you'll be pitching at the right level.

Cheers
Col

So, I've got a grand to spend on a rifle and scope. I'm guessing second hand is the way to go. But I'm a complete novice so could do with some advice on what to look for and what to avoid, as well as some direct recommendations. I'm looking for .243, for roe stalking. Like I said, I'm a total beginner so imagine your explaining this to the village idiot and you'll be pitching at the right level.

Cheers
Col

If you want change from your grand you could do a lot worse than buying Stratts' BRNO as advertised in the classifieds. I'm not on commission or anything, but there really is a danger I'll end up buying it otherwise just to scratch an itch and fill my ticket...

Normally, you would be advised to spend extra money on a good scope. I would say spend it on the rifle you can afford/want, and get a cheapy scope to start with until you can afford a good one.

If you really are a complete beginner, I'd say spend the money on buying staking rather than a rifle.

Buy a S/H Schmidt and bender 8x56 etc £350

which leaves £650 for rifle , mod and scope rings

you could be lucky and find a tikka t3

theres a lovely tikka t3 wood 243 in the classified forsale by Highbird Mark I can't remember the price tho

how about a 8x56 schmidt about £350 secondhand then somthing like a secondhand tikka with whats left £650 should get you somthing with a set of rings and maybe even a mod if your lucky but if theres no mod i wouldnt panic you can still use the rifle and you will be set with a top end scope and a very good rifle

Buy a S/H Schmidt and bender 8x56 etc £350

which leaves £650 for rifle , mod and scope rings

you could be lucky and find a tikka t3

theres a lovely tikka t3 wood 243 in the classified forsale by Highbird Mark I can't remember the price tho

looks like you hit the post button just before me :lol:

May I ask why .243? It's a good cartridge so don't get me wrong but are you choosing that cartridge because you've looked at all possibilities or because your FEO is pushing you that way?

Regards rifles; Howa 1500 or Weatherby Vanguard are good new guns but secondhand you'll be able to get much more. I am presuming you will be running a moderator so make sure you get something that is screw cut at the muzzle.
I would personally go £6-700 rifle and £3-400 for scope although some will say t'other way round.

I have Tikka T3 with brand new barrel I've just fitted in a new Walnut stock and a Zeiss 3-12x50 Duralyt. £1450

Find a decent tikka 595 as you will have a rifle for life and as said above 8x s&b scope good glass and build quality that's plenty for stalking, moderator if anything left
Welcome to the money pit that's called stalking haha
Regards
Jimmy

With the time it is taking to get variations through in some areas, I would say get the rifle you want, preferably a new one, that you won't want to change, and will have a warranty. You can always get a super scope later with no fuss. The best group I ever did with my Steyr SSG was firing at a 1" target patch at 200yrds. After 4 shots I had to go and look for the holes, I went back and fired 3 more shots. All 7 shots were in an inch. The scope was a 3-9 x 40 Hunter that was probably more suited to an air rifle, it cost £12 new.

Last edited:
An alternative to the S&B 8x56 would be a Meopta 7x50 which you could probably pick up £200ish.

i saw this as well but seeing as its the chaps 1st stalking rifle i dont know if all hes been offered is a .243 i know some forces can be funny with what you ask for if this isnt the case tho co1 what about changing to a less "fasionable" caliber maybe a .270 as you can get some real good bargins on the likes of guntrader

Back