Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New scope?

New scope?

I'm after a new scope to put on my 22-250 and put the Leupold on my new 308. I shoot mostly roe and a few fox plus the usual tin plates and cardboard boxes. I have come to find 3-12x50 is a good size and I really prefer and illuminated dot. I find it hard to pick up anything else in a woodland setting. I have been advised to get a bigger magnification but that jumps to the parallax and ballistic turret scopes which, for parallax anyway, I'm not interested (too much messing about when it counts). It also cuts the choice right down with really one scope from Swarovski, Ziess and S&B. There's a bit of variation in prices but spending that much I'd like to be sure it will suit my needs for the foreseeable future. The Leupold is great although it can lose clarity in the lamp light. Do I fork out now in case I progress into longer range shooting or go with what suits now? I really can't decide on what to buy?

I realise everyone has their own preference but someone might think of something I've missed.

Cheers

Jonny

I have a S&B Zenith 3-12 x 50 with FD 7 ret and a Zeiss HT 3-12 x 56 with illuminated 60 ret.
    Both are top end optics. If you are after the very best last light performance then a 56 mm objective will always be better in comparable quality glass.
    Try and get a look through the various scopes before you part with your hard earned, different eyes prefer different scopes.

I had a Redfield revolution 4-12x40 accurange reticle on my .22-250 it was absolutely brilliant mate

Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 Rifle Scope | Uttings.co.uk

Checkout the Meopta Meostar R1 3-12x56 RD illuminated. Look on that infamous auction site and you can pick up a new one from Europe for under 550 inc postage. Fantastic scope. Honestly,look no further.

There is a lot we are not told about when choosing a scope.
    For me, weight is the main bugbear with 50mm glass, turrets is another, I dont often twiddle but would like the option , so please put
    numbers on the graduations. Like you, i dont really want to have to adjust parallax, but if i do , dont put the adjustment on the objective,
    the slightest slop there will move the sight picture.
    The big thing not often written about is the wavelenth that the scope is tuned to, I believe Redfield are tuned towards the blue end of spectrum
    for low light use, but how does work with LED or halogen light?

Quote Originally Posted by joe soapy View Post
    There is a lot we are not told about when choosing a scope.
    For me, weight is the main bugbear with 50mm glass, turrets is another, I dont often twiddle but would like the option , so please put
    numbers on the graduations. Like you, i dont really want to have to adjust parallax, but if i do , dont put the adjustment on the objective,
    the slightest slop there will move the sight picture.
    The big thing not often written about is the wavelenth that the scope is tuned to, I believe Redfield are tuned towards the blue end of spectrum
    for low light use, but how does work with LED or halogen light?
    I used mine for lamping plenty of times. Really good scope for the money and excellent light gathering capabilities. Not far behind my S&B 8x56 to be honest.

Thats interesting, It would be interesting to know a bit of the science, I find the led has has very direct light with very little scatter compared to halogen, certainly its different and bunnies and foxes notice it to

That's interesting what you say about wavelength joe soapy. I don't think my LED lamp was as good as a bulb but perhaps that's the reason why.

Cheers for that
    Last edited by Jonny Boy; 01-11-2015 at 19:54.

My friend and mentor shoots with meopta and I looked at them when I first got the rifle Woodlander. I didn't get on with them that well and some of the reviews reckoned they are over priced for what you get. Must be a top end scope then eh!

Indeed
    i have an as new S&B 3-12x50 with rail mount,if you're interested?
    good luck with your search,but don't give up on the Meostar R1. Cheers