Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nosler Hunting Ballistic Tips?

Nosler Hunting Ballistic Tips?

Hi all,

So looking for 6.5x55 food.

Already have some 240grn soft points but I fancy some 120's. Saw the aboove on Midway and though o0o, they look abit good.

Question.

Do they meat damage like a normal Ballistic tip?

Do they penertrate well? (Good paint trail?)

atb and thanks
    Sam

(:
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

6.5 120 grain BT

Regularly use a 6.5 x 55, using 120grain Ballistic Tip Norma, on Fallow, Roe and Red (hinds) highly effective usually a drop on the spot (high heart/lung shot). Also use the RWS 127grain KS again very effective but beast can run a few yards further.
    BT's meat damage generally not a problem, the KS often produces as much. The BTs can occasionally can leave meat damage in roe, but then does maximise energy transfer in a light framed animal.

ATB

HL

I've only ever used Nosler 6.5x55 120 grn BTs (i do have rather limited experiance though, only having shot half a dozen deer).

My experiance to date has been good penetration, in one side and out the other on both roe and a fallow buck (all heart/lung chest shots). Exit wound has only ever been the size of a 50p (maybe a fraction bigger), and as a result very minimal meat damage.

Like i said, limited experiance but all good so far. They are quite expensive though 35 a box of 20 by me.

Lots of people use them on here a lot.

ATB Jim

I used the norma 120 btips all last season, they were used on sika, they are the best round that i have used in the 6.5/55, i have used federal, remington, lapua and hornady, i would not use any other factory ammo after using the Norma.

There is an article in this weeks Shooting Times by Bruce Potts which shows the effect on ballistic gel of various bullets, including the Nosler Game Ballistic Tips. It shows good expansion but nothing excessive.

My mate Gary uses them in 7mm and really rates them.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I use Norma 120 grain BTs in the 6.5 x 55 I bought last year. In terms of accuracy, my R93 loves them, printing 0.5 to 0.75 MOA time after time. So far, I have only used them on red hinds & roe, working superbly, dropping animals very very quickly. In terms of meat damage, I feel they are perfectly acceptable. I use Norma soft nosed 100 grains in my 243 & in my inexperience, I would say that these can do more damage ... but don't quote me on that !

If your rifle likes the 120 grain BTs, IMHO you could do a lot worse

Hi, Just got a 6.5 x 55 T3. Have been using Federal Powershock 140gn & Laupa 155gn. As thats what they had in stock at the time.
    You guys any views on these? Are you saying it's worth re-zeroing and switching to the 120 BT's.
    Cheers.

i used them in a 65x55 and found that when i skined the roe there was a lot of bruseing and blood under the skin on the exit hole for about 6 inch radius

Quote Originally Posted by jb7x57 View Post
    i used them in a 65x55 and found that when i skined the roe there was a lot of bruseing and blood under the skin on the exit hole for about 6 inch radius
    I have had bruising like this with 140gn RWS hollow-points, and 140gn powershoks too. I know some people really do not like Hunting BT's, but i have friends who do use them in 7mm and 6.5 and really rate them. Accuracy wise, you will not do much better.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

@ n1geld

I use the Lapua Mega 155grn over here in Norway, It's very popular in Scandinavia and used on everything from roe deer up to moose. I only have limited personal experience with them, one roe deer and two wild boar but so far I'm very happy, the bullets performed excellent, no meat damage and exit hole about the size of a 50p piece. I have close friends who have shot hundreds of animals, roe deer, red deer, boar and moose with them and refuse to change!

I would advise that you try them and see how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by n1geld View Post
    Hi, Just got a 6.5 x 55 T3. Have been using Federal Powershock 140gn & Laupa 155gn. As thats what they had in stock at the time.
    You guys any views on these? Are you saying it's worth re-zeroing and switching to the 120 BT's.
    Cheers.
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here