Training and mentoring £250 per outing!

devon deer stalker

I just read an email sent to me by the BDS, I clicked on this link BDS Training and Mentoring Scheme
If i have read this correctly it will cost the member (client?) £250 to go an accompanied stalk and receive training and mentoring, one outing, morning or evening.
Now can you tell me what separates this from an outing with an experienced stalking guide?
I think the people who came up with that price are out of touch with things in the stalking world.

As an example of other offers, Malc posted Fallow culling for £75 and no shot fee on does, a great deal.

Cheers

Richard

Yeah, I saw that and thought there must be a lot of rich folks needing training. Which is probably true but not very helpful for most people.

Too much money in this game. But then again, isn't there always?

Looking at the application form it is actually two outings for £250:

For a fee of £250.00 a participant will have two outings with a professional BDS training instructor who will guide them through all aspects of stalking and dealing with a carcass after the shot. Participants will be shown how to carry out specific procedures which they will be encouraged to attempt themselves. For those without their own rifles, one may be borrowed from the instructor under the terms of the section 16 Firearms (amendment) Act 1988.
The cost does not include accommodation, meals or travelling.

Looking at the application form it is actually two outings for £250:
You are correct, but on the link it said 'morning or evening' so they made a mistake, thanks for clarifying that.

For a fee of £250.00 a participant will have an evening or morning outing with a professional BDS training instructor who will guide them through all aspects of stalking and dealing with a carcass after the shot. Participants will be shown how to deal with specific procedures which they will be encouraged to attempt themselves. For those without their own rifles, one may be borrowed from the instructor under the terms of the section 16 Firearms (amendment) Act 1988.

Cheers
Richard

You're right, the first page on the BDS website says "an evening or morning outing", if you're tempted enough to part with huge amounts of cash and go for it, you click through to the Ts & Cs to find you actually get two outings.

Personally, I didn't get that far. I made a sort of funny noise through my nose at the first page and shut the browser.

If its 2 outings for £250 then I dont think its too much. If you are given every chance to get a beast or two or more and have a instructor on a 1 to 1 basis and the use of a vehicle, trained dog, atv, perhaps rifle and ammo. The two outs might, added together any where up to 8 or ten hours. Nothing much is cheap these days. For example, to watch a game of rugby for 80 minutes or so was £120, no training nothing else supplied

I have not seen this advertised by BDS, but it comes as no surprise as there is a big demand for stalking these days and many need the experience and Level 1 to satisfy their local constabulary before they get an FAC.

£250 is a good sum of money, but it its for two outings and no kill fees, plus a mans time for the remaining part of the day that's not a bad deal.

It makes my training look cheap! ... As said it is 2 outings which I think is more reasonable. Apart from the points made by rem284 I think the BDS want to earn something from it as well as paying the guide! Everything is more expensive closer to London!

Why not wait for feedback before slating the BDS once again? They're not making anyone pay anything and if it's deer rich land it might be a fantastic deal? When you take the cost of a skilled man's time for one to one tuition plus all the other add ons, I can't see how it's anything other than very cheap myself. Would you prefer that they run the service at a loss? They are a charity after all!

On that basis the SD week on my lease in Scotland with accommodation, linen, ATV, trained dog to hand and guides to help extract and guide, and NO kill fees on hinds at £875 from Sunday to Saturday morning is giving it away!!

But you would be surprised at how some think its too expensive. Sometimes I think those that are recreational stalkers must believe that full time professionals who have overheads and a business to run do it for fresh air and a laugh!!

Stalking is a business and like all other businesses you have bills to pay. If you are lucky to have 500 or so acres at no cost and free to cull what you like thank yourself lucky. Its a bit different when you have large leases, staff, equipment, accommodation, insurance, vehicles, etc to pay for.

Not moaning just pointing out the facts, which many seem to over look.

Agreed Malc. They clearly do their day jobs for beer tokens only and have a VERY understanding Bank Manager? I struggle to see how professional Stalkers make ends meet myself. I earn above the average wage and never seem to have any spare cash. I haven't even bought a new Range Rover this year as I have had to cut back.........what ever:D

Fair enough malc, but having a good moan is part of the fun. Especially if you're out of spare cash to feed your stalking habit.

You are correct, but on the link it said 'morning or evening' so they made a mistake, thanks for clarifying that.
I just took a look at the application form hoping the small print would provide some justification for the price.
Like you, I was struggling to see how they could justify £250 for an outing.

The ironic thing being, that they would undoubtedly get more interest if they made it obvious that the price included 2 outings :doh:

Makes my £30.00 to cover my expenses for a L2 assessment seem cheeeep. . . Note to self, raise price :)

The BDS scheme isn't the most expensive stalking offering that I have seen, and they don't charge a kill fee.

For example, County Deer Stalking charge:

Shooting test £25
Stalk (morning or afternoon) £155
Kill fee £75
Miss fee £75
Skinning + butchery £35

There's also a long list of extra charges for trophies in their terms and conditions:

http://www.countydeerstalking.co.uk/terms-conditions.html

I note they have put in BOLD letters that clients must produce their own proof of insurance. I will add that if anyone pays a professional or non professional deer stalker, by that I mean someone doing it on the side to make a few quid. They should have commercial insurance as they are charging a fee for their services. General insurance from different societies only covers you for recreational stalking.

Any good professional will have adequate commercial insurance that not only covers the client, but also any stalker/guide working for them and in general this costs about £300 and upwards per year.

Another cost to factor in if you running a stalking business!

Back