thermal imaging

camodog

Hello fellow deer managers/stalkers. I am contemplating going down the 'Thermal Imaging' route for fox control/deer management purposes. Do any of you have experience in it's use? Recommendations as to which unit to go for? I'm not interested particularly in a 'TI gun-sight', just a monocular for viewing. Your thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

I've tried all of them and finally settled for the Pulsar XD38s but the HD will do the job too. I was having a look at some fallow last night at probably 6-700 yards. I would say ideal for your needs.

i have a guide ir510-384. the unit is light to carry and the battery life is amazing. Thermal is pretty much a game changer.

Well to add balance I use the FLIR LS-XR, revolutionised stalking in the more difficult cover (forest), but don't be fooled into thinking that it can see through cover, if there is an exposed bit of animal, it will show you something, else-wise it will still slip on by!
It is more than just a useful tool to help you spot that animal in deep cover though, good as a safety aid helping to ensure theirs no random dog walker lurking somewhere.
It is also invaluable in helping to find that last light shot that ran 10 paces before dropping. Has made me more confident to take the shot nearing darkness, where I am comfortable with the shot, but would have not taken it before for fear of not recovering the carcass.
Took a double pair of munti at what was a long range earlier in the year, 1st light, 1st animal @ 196 Yds, second @ 176Yds, both good strikes, but both ran across the track and into cover. On arriving at the strike area, good signs from both strikes but no animals. climbed into thick bramble then followed blood trail into more open but dense wood, no sign. Got the thermal out followed 1st blood trail until is vanished, carried on 10 Yds and scanned, there it was 15 yds on again. Back to strike, followed second trail in opposite direction, again lost trail, scanned, out 25+ yds was second animal, would have spent a heap of time and risked loosing one or both. I have used at last light with same effect, and have not lost an animal since owning it, though have come close as some seem to find that hidden ditch under the fallen tree! As you may gather almost all my stalking is in dense forest and I wouldn't be without it now.

Got it and love it. As said above - a game changer. I use an XD50s and love it. Great for watching all warm blooded animals. Mice eating blackberries in pitch darkness is amazing! One quick scan of a large area saves several minutes of eye strain with a pair of binoculars

I have had a Pulsar Quantum HD50 for some time now.
It has transformed my shooting, as I now use the thermal 80% of the time and the bino's only to back up what I think I see.
The success rate, in particular on Muntjac, has more than doubled.
But be aware some more traditionalist stalkers consider it 'unsporty' (More unsporty than a rifle/scope/bino? ;) )

Be aware of UK retailers asking for to much money for these units, you can get them 20-25% cheaper if you buy online in the Eurozone.
I recommend you do not accept the quoted UK retail price and negotiate it down and/or ask for free extra's such as a long-life battery and video unit and neck-strap, OR take your business elsewhere.
Also, for the price, I think they are badly engineered, for example they are not waterproof, and have a clumsy battery cartridge which won't last long.
The mounting points for the straps double up as mounting points for the (extra) long-life battery and video unit, so you can use either, not all, at the same time.
And with every laptop, mobile and tablet now equipped with a SD slot, why oh why is a photo/video recording facility not builtin to this unit forcing you to pay some £100 extra if you want that facility..

Have been using a Pulsar HD38s for nearly 2 yaers and an XD on loan for the last month. Cannot imagine night shooting without one, in fact feel naked without it.

Absolutely fantastic to use and agree 20-25% more expensive in UK than they need to be ? too many dealers in the chain all taking a small cut.

D

Eurozone mentioned a few times in threads....
Anyone any links to euro zone retailers etc ?.

As for waterproof , built in recording and easy simple battery

Clive ward wt37 thermal ...ok it's bigger than hd38 but same spec if not better and has above merits

Paul

Am I the only one who thinks that there use for the taking of deer is unethical?

I don't think it's unethical. It may be less sporting but if you've got a job to do and targets to meet then it's probably a great tool. As a recreational stalker I don't see the need but I can understand why people who have a job to do would buy one.

Am I the only one who thinks that there use for the taking of deer is unethical?
where do you draw the line in ethical?? Is a bolt action rifle ethical?? What about a scopes?? Binoculars? People can hunt perfectly well with bows and arrows and have done for thousands of years. What's wrong with moving on with technology? I use one great piece of kit wouldn't be without one now. It is for each person to decide what they want to use.

I suppose, realistically, when rifles first came out that's what the bowmen said. And when scopes became available the iron sight purists would have said similar. Times move on and so does technology.

If you are purely a recreational stalker then on open land there should be no need for thermal, though for my previous post reasons, I still think it is way more than just a spotting tool. If like myself you stalk to achieve specific cull targets, then it brings a new dimension that aids greatly. I don't feel it is at all unethical, in particular in the dense forest I have to mange in. In the summer months when cover is high it certainly helps, but don't be fooled into thinking the animals are leaping out at you. If they are in cover, no device will find them, only your skill as a stalker. Munjac being by far the most difficult in high cover, this can sometimes just alert you, what it will do is give you an inkling there is something there as you catch a spot or two of heat through the cover. The rest is up to you, your skill, your binos and getting into a suitable position or waiting for the animal to move. I have checked my figures from before and after getting the camera and calculate about a 30% increase in cull success, some of this is getting to know the ground better, which makes a good deal of difference, so I suspect thermal alone may account for a 25% increase in cull achievement, with that weighted towards munjac above roe.
For me the other benefits, especially safety in public space (FC Forest) and carcass recovery account for a major element of why I use one.
I also use it as a spotter when lamping or NV shooting bunnies for control, makes the initial approach much more successful, allowing you to limit lamp time and reduce education!

If you have the opportunity to stalk on open land/ hill and especially stalk just for recreation, then maybe a thermal camera is not for you.

This would be a different debate, but no you are not alone, plenty of stalkers find it unsporty. To them I would say: More unsporty than a rifle, a scope, a pair of binoculars, a larder fridge.....? More unsporty than a bow and arrow, a spear, a stone to bash their head in, or driving them over a cliff edge....?
More unsporty than stealing a carcass from a feeding predator? You see, this now becomes a philosophical debate.

We can't stop technical progress, the equipment exists, it has reached an acceptable price point, and it works. So use it if you want to, and don't use it if you prefer the traditional ways.

Back