Ticks

jo bloggs

Hi guy's & girls ,I shot a few stags in the last few weeks I've noticed a large amount of ticks more than usual has anyone else noticed this?.

I was out yesterday, the cover was still well up and green. I was covered in ticks pulled a load of last night, and 3 more this morning. I think its time to look at that anti-tick clothing and maybe slap on some jungle juice

We need a few hard frosts now to put them to bed ,we had 18 degrees here the other day

Shot three fallow prickets this morning and pulled 23 ticks of them ..far more than normal .Generally seems a bad year for them ..

My dog has just had his new flea and tick treatment and its in a chew. Surely they can develop something for human consumption that would offer the same protection or am I missing something (apart from it being profitable to the drug company!)?

This year wasn't to bad TBH had 4 on myself but that was it. Dog never had any with tick collar used. Deer in some areas had some but I've seen it a lot worse in the areas of the highlands I stalk on.

Just curious, why would you bother removing ticks from the carcass ? They die soon after deer is shot and cools down or is placed in a fridge, or the animal is skinned and skin disposed of ! In answer to the question though, I stalk on three totally diverse areas, typical Scottish Borders forestry, Lake District valley with mixed woodland/pasture and mixed arable/woodland in the Trough of Bowland. Only one of these areas have I experienced numbers of ticks, the Scottish Borders! However, this year I have noticed ticks on almost every deer I've shot in the 'Trough' where previously they were almost exclusively 'tick free'!

Just curious, why would you bother removing ticks from the carcass ? They die soon after deer is shot and cools down or is placed in a fridge, or the animal is skinned and skin disposed of ! In answer to the question though, I stalk on three totally diverse areas, typical Scottish Borders forestry, Lake District valley with mixed woodland/pasture and mixed arable/woodland in the Trough of Bowland. Only one of these areas have I experienced numbers of ticks, the Scottish Borders! However, this year I have noticed ticks on almost every deer I've shot in the 'Trough' where previously they were almost exclusively 'tick free'!

My experience is that Tick numbers are higher where farm animals are present ie on arable land very low numbers...

Back