fallow

tony rentokil

What do you guys think?
Do fallow know every inch of the forest,say the wyre forest which is not huge but a fair size.
Or do they just wander around until a food source is found and stay laid up near by,until it runs out and move on.
has any research been done?
Cheers Tod.

Had a fallow doe in 800 acre wood for 21 yrs she was collared and seen only in that wood by the keeper every year .she was with fawns for 19 of them untill the day he had to put her down I'd say she knew the wood very very well she probably knew us well too as we could have shot her many times over .
hope that answers your question
norma

Theres a picture in my gallery of her

Last edited:
From my experience , all deer are creatures of habit, if you find them in one place at a certain time of year, they will be there again the same time next year, regardless of food, this is only my observation on a 1000acre estate in Hants, where we had red, roe and fallow.

What do you guys think?
Do fallow know every inch of the forest,say the wyre forest which is not huge but a fair size.
Or do they just wander around until a food source is found and stay laid up near by,until it runs out and move on.
has any research been done?
Cheers Tod.

The short answer is that yes, a lot of research has been done on ranging patterns and resource use in a lot of different ungulates. The basic answer is that they know what they need to know at the scale they need to know it, and will be far more aware of certain things than we are - like the nutrient content of the vegetation. And no, they don't wander around until they find a food source and stick near it til it runs out. The reason for this is that - just like us - they have varied needs. They will move to satisfy these - and that can be anything from getting the right balance of nurtrients to getting out of a cold wind.

Thanks Guys and any, more info,Norma just looked at your gallery very impressive.
I only ask because I have a little bit of ground,only me allowed to shoot it,its attached to the wyre forest.
I know the fc shoot the main forest,I have heard they keep the main herd down to 300 animals.
So would it be worth me putting a couple of feeders down the main rides as I have taken the gun for a walk so many times and not seen any deer,not too many signs either?

Thanks Guys and any, more info,Norma just looked at your gallery very impressive.
I only ask because I have a little bit of ground,only me allowed to shoot it,its attached to the wyre forest.
I know the fc shoot the main forest,I have heard they keep the main herd down to 300 animals.
So would it be worth me putting a couple of feeders down the main rides as I have taken the gun for a walk so many times and not seen any deer,not too many signs either?
If you only had a few fallow on the plot you'd know as half a dozen animals can make pretty significant highways after a while esp with the wet weather we've had lately ,I don't think a few pheasant feeders will be enough to draw the FC deer to your plot but should they be continually squeezed by feb march I'd prob expect to see more activity on yours if they like your area .constant horanging does get them very edgy and they'll seek a safe haven hopefully yours !! Then try a few of the pipe type feeders licks Ect we've stumps with licks on that the fallow go mad for ! I've seen poles with a lick on top at fallow height and it drips down ...don't use creosoted poles :doh:
cheers Norma

Thanks Norma,cant seem to buy them local,what else would you recommend,just trying to make the best of my tiny permission,attached to a large forest.
Regards Tony.

I think it's true to say that most deer are fairly predictable unless disturbed however fallow are perhaps the most capricious and if you see fallow in a field today they may not be there tomorrow whereas with other species it's a fair bet that they will be. They do not respond well to pressure and if over shot they will often move out for quieter parts.

Back