Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heated Jackets for highseats.

Heated Jackets for highseats.

Just testing the ground with this idea. I have been riding motorbikes for a few years now and one of the best bits of kit I ever bought was a heated jacket. Had it 20 years now. With the addition of a lit-ion battery up a high seat it makes a hell of a difference. It might be a bit wussy but I would rather be wussy than freeze my nads off. I do feel the cold and no matter how many layers you have, in the winter you are gonna get cold unless you have an external heat source. Last year I used a hot water bottle. Worked well so then I wired my jacket in. Ohhhhhhh, lovely.

anyhow, speaking to my mate who works in a bike shop we might be able to sort something out. I think the retail of these things is about 150. That includes the vest, which you wear over a light shirt, a battery pack with controller and a plug in charger. Battery lasts between 2 and 4 hours.

i have to stress I haven't seen these in the flesh so will need to test one to try it to see if it is any good. I paid 110 for mine 20 years ago so I think I got value for money as it is still going strong. Only thing is I can't change the power on mine so I'm flat out at 3.5 amps.

if this is of interest to people let me know. If there is sufficient I will see if I can sort out some deal with the maker. Where we buy 10 or so and see how much discount I can get. After that I will come back and let people know price and then you can decide.
    I will sort out trade membership or some money to admins satisfaction so as to keep within the site rules if it looks like it will go ahead.

more info when I have some more detail hopefully over the next few days.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

I must be a cheapskate: Electric Heated Fleece Large Vest Blue | Maplin with 2 sets of batteries works well enough for me + also use on motorbike.

Quote Originally Posted by drut View Post
    I must be a cheapskate: Electric Heated Fleece Large Vest Blue | Maplin with 2 sets of batteries works well enough for me + also use on motorbike.
    I tried the gloves they had last year and gave them back after a week. They were crack. But if the fleece works particularly on a bike then can't be bad. Taking this is a motorbikes? How long do the batteries last?
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    That post I didn't see but I wouldn't want that one because you want it near the skin as a second layer to get the heat, and you want the heatpads spread across the front and back to get max heat to your body not fighting through your layers. I really do suffer from the cold and that coat would be no good to me. I dress like a penguin when I go out in the cold. .

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    I tried the gloves they had last year and gave them back after a week. They were crack. But if the fleece works particularly on a bike then can't be bad. Taking this is a motorbikes? How long do the batteries last?

2600mAh batteries last over 2hrs(2 1/4 or so),vest is heated on two front sections with separate battery holder/switch for each side and often one side is enough on its own : doubling time.I bought it on a whim,as it was so cheap,but now value it as much,if not more, than my Peacock hand warmer.There must be much better/hotter/longer lasting solutions but I have used this for the past 2yrs without feeling the need to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by drut View Post
    2600mAh batteries last over 2hrs(2 1/4 or so),vest is heated on two front sections with separate battery holder/switch for each side and often one side is enough on its own : doubling time.I bought it on a whim,as it was so cheap,but now value it as much,if not more, than my Peacock hand warmer.There must be much better/hotter/longer lasting solutions but I have used this for the past 2yrs without feeling the need to upgrade.
    Thats pretty good. And at that price well worth a gamble for someone.

Coming out of the automotive world as I do.
    Have you considered scrounging a scrap cars heated seat element? It should only cost a couple of quid.
    Martin
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture seat heat.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	62896

Well if your going to make your own you can just get some wire and stitch it in. I have the info somewhere as to thickness and length. Think it was 4.5 meters. Mind you the proper wire is called tinsel wire and is designed so as it won't break when bent. I looked into this years ago. Lol.
    actually that reminds me I have enough of the wire somewhere from 20 years ago.

I made my own heated jacket liner for riding a motorbike in winter which worked but was a fixed output then, some years later, bought a quality liner with variable control. I ride most days through the winter and it's one of the best things I've bought in 30 years of riding a bike. Mine are by http://www.heatedclothingoutlet.eu, I have the gen 4 jacket and dual remote control.