Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wretched speeding ticket!

Wretched speeding ticket!

I got a letter through a week and a half ago saying that I had been "flashed" speeding - 38 in a 30 limit! The ironic thing is that it was a static camera right outside the front of the flats where I live - Talk about s******g on your own doorstep!
    I know exactly what happened - It was at 09:09 when i was a couple of minutes late for one of my regular heart check up and my mind obviously wasn't 100% on the speedo so I'm not complaining and offered to plead guilty straight away.
    Yesterday I got back from a Sika deer cull (Fog stopped play so only taking 6 prickets) to find a letter waiting for me. It was offering a place on the National Speed Awareness Scheme. From what I have seen on the Innternet this course is only going to cost me 40.00 and a morning of my time (Which I have plenty of) but on completion I will not have to pay the Statuary 100 find nor will I have 3 points on my license which will bounce my insurance up, so I am going to accept it and book myself in.
    I'm a little hacked off about it as I am normally very careful about speed limits, I've have had a clean license for more years than I care to remember but I have to hold my hands up to this one and just take it on the chin.
    Has anyone else done one of these Speed Awareness Courese and if so what do they entail please?

FB, we have all done what you have done, at least nobody came to grief, except your wallet!

But it is sod's law when you are in a genuine rush, you always come a cropper, or in your case a copper

I believe the course you are to embark on is, one of self efacing, amongst other things. My young friend, who has heavy shoe syndrone was in the same position as you, he attended a course and found it of great value.
    Good luck!, Iam sure you will find it interesting, of course you could do a write up, and help all on this site

It takes 3-4 hours, and in my case the two guys running it started off with "All of you in this room have one thing in common (apart from being clocked at 38 MPH in a 30 MPH zone) ... none of you want to be here!"

I actually learned some stuff that I didn't previously know, and if you join in rather than sit and sulk (as some on my course did ... mistake, you can still be binned back to points if you come over as too 'anti') then it's not too much time out of your life to spend keeping your license clean.

Jerry
    Last edited by Old-YOP; 03-11-2015 at 09:42.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    I got a letter through a week and a half ago saying that I had been "flashed" speeding - 38 in a 30 limit! The ironic thing is that it was a static camera right outside the front of the flats where I live - Talk about s******g on your own doorstep!
    I know exactly what happened - It was at 09:09 when i was a couple of minutes late for one of my regular heart check up and my mind obviously wasn't 100% on the speedo so I'm not complaining and offered to plead guilty straight away.
    Yesterday I got back from a Sika deer cull (Fog stopped play so only taking 6 prickets) to find a letter waiting for me. It was offering a place on the National Speed Awareness Scheme. From what I have seen on the Innternet this course is only going to cost me 40.00 and a morning of my time (Which I have plenty of) but on completion I will not have to pay the Statuary 100 find nor will I have 3 points on my license which will bounce my insurance up, so I am going to accept it and book myself in.
    I'm a little hacked off about it as I am normally very careful about speed limits, I've have had a clean license for more years than I care to remember but I have to hold my hands up to this one and just take it on the chin.
    Has anyone else done one of these Speed Awareness Courese and if so what do they entail please?

from my wifes exp they intail being treated like a naughty 5yr old by the Company who run the courses (Not police )

usually the Cost of the course is the same as the fine

DOrset offer you 1 choice of date and time and place and get shirty if you say you cant make it Being late by 5 mins was nearly not turning up etc

So turn up Do it go home forget about it

They are not that bad, I had to do one about 5 years ago. Go with an open mind and it can be quite informative

Thanks for the replies guys!
    I will be taking the course, and yes Patrick, I will do a short report after attending if it will help others.
    Like I said, I was a little over the speed limit (As I am sure just about every one of us has been at one time or other). The road was clear with good visibility and no parked cars or pedestrians or other hazzards about but even so I accept that I was speeding and as such I am happy to take it on the chin.
    And of course as Old-YOP has just said I might well learn something worth remembering from the course - Lets fact it none of us are ever too old to learn!

I havent done the course, but my sister and mum have (the two speed demons in the family haha) and they both said it was actually quite interesting.

I think they both went there thinking "Dear god, let today go quickly, dont want to be here argh" and came away at the end of it having learned something.

Seems like a better approach than the fine to be honest! I'd be far more open to some drivers-ed than being mugged for 60 plus premiums being hiked which would probably just make me angry hehe

I went on one last week, as others have said it's actually quite interesting and there's no preaching or patronising. If it used to be the case that you were treated like naught kids, it certainly isn't now. However, you'll be amazed at the level of ignorance of some of your fellow attendees!
    Mine was 80, they seem to vary by region. Afterwards you're "wiped clean" and have no points, record, etc.

Interestingly, I was the only person of about 25 on the course who had not been caught by a camera (I got pulled by an unmarked car), and one of only a handful caught outside of 30mph limits.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    from my wifes exp they intail being treated like a naughty 5yr old by the Company who run the courses (Not police )

usually the Cost of the course is the same as the fine

DOrset offer you 1 choice of date and time and place and get shirty if you say you cant make it Being late by 5 mins was nearly not turning up etc

So turn up Do it go home forget about it
    Maybe I read it wrong but the information on the web site states that the course fees are 40.00 - See the link below and have a read of the last paragraph titled Course feed and refunds.
    https://ndors.org.uk/courses/

Went on one recently - as did a mate (different area)- and neither of us found a shaming/naughty boy attitude from the blokes running the course

Things to note,

GET THERE EARLY! miss the start time and you are refused admission (that happened to a bloke on my course) which means -I believe- loss of the course fee and you go back into the NIP system for a fine and points plus (I think) you have to attend court.

Wide range of attendees

You work in table groups and can use a spokesman so if public speaking makes you nervous you can get out of it.

Participation from the floor is required -but to be fair you do get drawn in to the subject.

To sum up,
    Go with an open mind, treat it as a trip somewhere pleasant and move on.

Oh and although you are not required to disclose attendance to your insurance company I did notify my FLT