Thread: How Barometric pressure affects Deer movement

How Barometric pressure affects Deer movement

Twice this week I have heard/read comments on how Barometric pressure affects Deer behaviour/movement.
    Has anyone any knowledge/experience on this they can share on here?

Martin

I've recently read a study on a herd of red deer where there was a noticeable impact on movements and behaviour which appeared linked to baromic pressure (amongst other factors). Will try to remember to dig it out when I get a minute and prices some quotes.

Novice

I reckon its probably more to do with the associated weather effects of low or high pressure, which will have a more pronounced affect on deer..? Similar conversations and discussions happen a lot in the fishing world.

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    Twice this week I have heard/read comments on how Barometric pressure affects Deer behaviour/movement.
    Has anyone any knowledge/experience on this they can share on here?

Martin
    Just like fisherman saying you won't catch anything when the wind comes from the East. Yeah..if you stay at home when the wind comes from the East you won't catch anything! This than becomes 'I have never been successful when the wind comes from the East', which than becomes common 'knowledge' in the fishing community.
    So facts based on proper science will convince me; fisherman's tales won't.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

I am very convinced that pressure significantly affect deer movement, I have been out a lot this year and watch the pressure whenever I go out, I can say there is a definite trend to it with low pressures below around 1015 Mbar producing less animals and anything over 1029 producing almost no movement at all. The sweet spot appears to be somewhere around 1022-1029.
    I went out this Sunday gone and pressure was around 1029, I saw nothing for the whole 3 hrs, not a peep so the deer don't seem to know the rules!

Happy hunting.

Guys,

When do you all want to be snuggled up in bed during daylight hours? When it's **** outside and you have no heating.

Why are deer any different? If you're warm and cosy and not "believing" of the six hour eating cycle why would you step outside?

Warm sun rising in the East that will burn off the cold will be when deer "may get out of bed"

Satn

Just like fisherman saying you won't catch anything when the wind comes from the East. Yeah..if you stay at home when the wind comes from the East you won't catch anything! This than becomes 'I have never been successful when the wind comes from the East', which than becomes common 'knowledge' in the fishing community.
    So facts based on proper science will convince me; fisherman's tales won't
    Cant give you the scientific facts but I can say that I have found that on my beat a east and south east wind of any kind of strength makes it difficult to get many deer. I find that easterly winds are ok for a short time because they will allow me to go into some places where it is the only wind you can get into these places. On east face slopes deer can favour the effect of morning sunshine however a easterly wind can cancel the warming of the sunshine. I certainly think the the wind chill factor will be important in the deer movement front.

I think there is logic in some of the "fisherman's/ old wife's tales". During the past two years my old GWP gets an allergy that makes her scratch a lot. The vets have given my pills which seem to help a bit. However a local woman said to me "put her in the sea, the salt water is meant to be good for their coats". I can remember my mother use to say the same thing. So after a dip in the sea she has stopped scratching and hair has started to grow back where it had been baldy