once fired cases not chambering

swarovski

Hi all.i recently bought some once fired cases off sd.i ran them all through my chamber.21 wouldn't chamber.10 to 15 were a little to tight for my liking.am sure somebody said they can be resized so they will chamber.could somebody refresh me how it's done.i think that's was my last purchase of once fired.at the mo 1/3 of these cases are useless to me.

Just full resize them & reload as norm , use them they will then be fire formed to your own rifles chamber

I had exactly the same problem with some NEW Winchester .308 cases. I loaded them in a hurry without passing them through my resizing die. Around 15% of them either wouldn't chamber or were tight. I dismantled the rounds and ran them through the full length resize die. All was fine after. Not sure if that helps a great deal?

I got in the same muddle when I got my first centrefire rifle - just wanted to practice cycling the bolt and chambering rounds using once-fired brass from someone else. Of course they wouldn't fit - had been fire-formed to the other guy's rifle.
Our old friend Brithunter put me back on track by sending me some full-length re-sized brass, which was fine.
Now I re-size my empty cases during the reloading process, with the press and die all set up to give just the right size for my rifle.

I bought them as fully prepped.i might try resizing one of problem cases and see if it will chamber. Can't see them chambering

I bought them as fully prepped.i might try resizing one of problem cases and see if it will chamber. Can't see them chambering

I made the mistake once of turning the sizing die a quarter turn back up rather than a quarter turn further down. The result was that nothing chambered and I had to re-re-load about 100-odd rounds I'd done with the die before I tried shooting one and couldn't close the bolt on it.

My point is that it could be user error on the part of your supplier - it's easily done.

This could be because your FL die is not sizing right down at the head. Make sure your die is adjusted to touch the shell holder, then a bit more. If that doesn't fix it, there's a die just for this problem, a small base die. Often used in semi autos but useful when sizing used brass from another rifle that may have a slack chamber.

If you have a spare shell holder you could file/machine a few thou off the top to achieve the same result. (or splash out on some Redding competition shell holders)

Unbelievable. Reloading basics totally ignored and Redding competition shell holders will not help (opposite to what you think) - if you take the time to understand what they do.
Must be April 1st.

Last edited:
As said full length resize them all. It's the first thing I would of done after opening the package.

Unbelievable. Reloading basics totally ignored and Redding competition shell holders will not help (opposite to what you think) - if you take the time to understand what they do.
Must be April 1st.

Come on chaps - stop criticizing the guy and share some knowledge about the place.

He's got cases he can't use and he's obviously not understood the importance of FL-sizng any new brass.

I've told him how it could have happened; others have told him what he needs to do to fix the problem.

Now perhaps you know-it-alls can help him out with the theory behind why it's important to resize new brass rather than sit here and criticize?

Must be April 1st.

Bravo.

What is strange (and mind-numbingly boring) is the number of times we've been round this loop.

In my experience the only cases which will fit from rifle A to rifle B are those fired in another Tikka. T3 'empties' fit M595/M695 like a glove & vice versa.

I've tried this now with at least a dozen Tikka's of all models in .243, 6.5 SE, and .308, and it's as repetitive as the OP's question.

Now .... why is it that cases fired in other makes (like M700 to M700 for instance) don't interchange? :evil:

Come on chaps - stop criticizing the guy and share some knowledge about the place.

He's got cases he can't use and he's obviously not understood the importance of FL-sizng any new brass.

I've told him how it could have happened; others have told him what he needs to do to fix the problem.

Now perhaps you know-it-alls can help him out with the theory behind why it's important to resize new brass rather than sit here and criticize?

Sweet fa to do with 'know it all' this is basic stuff - 4k posts and still needs spoon feeding?

Fair enough IF the OP didn't have almost 4,000 posts at the Stalking Directory. The reasons I found this thread 'strange' are: 1) The OP from a member of the SD with almost 4000 posts, and 2) the fact that people replied to the OP as if his comment wasn't 'strange'. It would be nice if folks believed me when I say that I am ALL FOR both repeating basic information over and over and over and over, AND giving people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to what might be considered 'basic knowledge'. HOWEVER, 3,933 posts :eek:! If swarovski truly doesn't know what's going on on this matter, then it's perfectly reasonable to ask. Nonetheless, I'll stick to my "strange" assessment of the whole thread.

Sinistral said:
Now .... why is it that cases fired in other makes (like M700 to M700 for instance) don't interchange? :evil:
C'mon now Sinistral, your question is just as 'strange' as the OP's question: Because M700s are American crap of course. :evil:

Paul

PS - Didn't see Sauer90's response until I posted the above.

Paul

Fair enough IF the OP didn't have almost 4,000 posts at the Stalking Directory.

Yeah, fair point. I had to go back and check since I don't pay any attention to post counts, but it puts yours / others' comments in a better light. I stand by my comment that it would be better to be patient / constructive rather than critical without offering anything helpful with it.

I've been playing the pipe organ for 15 years now, but if someone asked me to manufacture a rohrflöte pipe, I still wouldn't have a clue how to do it. I doubt that the OP's 4000 posts all relate to reloading either.

WRT answering 'basic information' questions over and over and over and over:
Personally, I see NO PROBLEM in that. NONE, and here's why: 1) If "you" feel "put out" by answering the same question over and over, DON'T. No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to do ANYTHING on an internet forum, and
2) There's rarely anything wrong with helping ANYONE, "newbie" or not. What's the harm? What's the "cost". Zip as far as I'm concerned.

So, for the record; It is wise to full-length resize ALL cases that have not been fired in your particular rifle - ESPECIALLY if it is one of those American pieces of crap they call rifles. Personally, I'd do it even if I was shooting a Tikka M695 too!

Paul

Come on. Got to be a **** take

doesn't swarovski have a 6.5-06 that requires necking down .270/30-06 brass?
pretty sure he knows how to full length size brass

Back