Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've a birthday coming up and I'm considering a decent knife. Suggestions?

I've a birthday coming up and I'm considering a decent knife. Suggestions?

I've a couple of mora clippers and a decent, if heavy, pocket knife. After next year I'll be spending less time away with work and more time working in the woods and on the farm and hopefully more time stalking too. With my 50th coming up, I've been asked for present ideas and was thinking about a nice knife, something more than just a Mora.

I've browsed the bushcraft places and there's such a plethora of knives and makers, different designs, steels and grinds that you can just get lost in it all so I figured I'd ask on here for recommendations and or reasons for a particular knife or knife maker with a budget up to around £200-£250. Probably not enough to do something custom I imagine but enough, I'd hope, for something out of the ordinary.

Thanks.

Benchmade Griptillian for a light, strong, sharp, knife, about $100.00 USD.

Chris Reeve - Sebenza
    Chris Reeve Knives

Shop till you drop at http://www.AGRussell.com

I would recommend Paul Fenech AKA Frenchy, check out this link which is to my actual knife set and see the video, excellent quality and service.

http://www.customknivesandsticks.co.uk/knifesets.htm

If I could justify it and afford it, it would have to be something from Stuart Mitchell - those I have seen have been a true work of art. When I win the lottery I'll have a Muntjac or MuntjaX.

Quote Originally Posted by karlbird View Post
    If I could justify it and afford it, it would have to be something from Stuart Mitchell - those I have seen have been a true work of art. When I win the lottery I'll have a Muntjac or MuntjaX.
    +1 on the Muntjac. I've got one and it's stunning
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by OISÍN View Post
    I would recommend Paul Fenech AKA Frenchy, check out this link which is to my actual knife set and see the video, excellent quality and service.

http://www.customknivesandsticks.co.uk/knifesets.htm
    Those do look lovely and a very reasonable price too, thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by karlbird View Post
    Those are lovely, though not convinced they're quite my type, though I see he does full custom work. I think I'm leaning towards a more woodland/bushcraft knife as I'll be doing more of that than stalking/gralloching/skinning etc.

Don't do it, you will only cry when you lose it!
    I lost my buck knife, not very expensive, but it was at the time, had it for years, then left on my bumper, never to be seen again.
    Cheers
    Richard

There are loads of great knife makers out there, if you can wait, go to the UK knife show, you can then hold and try , which is essential if you want a knife for life.

I'd certainly try and get something custom made to your spec for that price. There's nothing quite like a knife that has been made especially for you. As already mentioned there are plenty of great UK knife makers out there. Pop on to the British Blades forum, they're very helpful and if you explain your requirements and budget I'm sure you'll get plenty of help.

I'd recommend Stuart Mitchell, but budget might need tweaking a little for his work. Always worth asking though.