Meopta or Leupold?

Which Binoculars?

• Total voters

Sam

Because my deal on Swaro 7x42 has fallen through. Im looking at a pair of bins by one of the two above. either Leupold 10x50 Olympics or Meopta Meostar 7x50. Budget is £500 and the Meopta really push that, The loops would leave me more money to spend on Stalking:D
But If the Meoptas are that much better (£200) I will plump with them

Your thoughts gentlemen.

Thanks
Sam

For some reason Americans have a somewhat different idea of "quality" when it comes to optics than Europeans. Based on that I would tend to shy away from American optics but have no experience of the binos in question. I suspect Meopta punch above their weight when it comes to optics and have used their scopes and thought them good quality.

Can I throw another variable into the equation - what about Minox? I think they are remarkable optics for the money and old stock HGs (I guess the 8.5X43s would be your pick) were about at the £400 price point. They were assembled in Japan (the old stock ones) but the glass and design is German and the newer ones are now made in Germany. I would say they come very, very close to the top tier optics in the £1000+ zone. You should at least give them a try before you decide, I doubt if you will find anyone with a bad word to say about them.

Go with Meopta - their optics are almost on a par with top German / Austrian. Leupolds are good and solid, but I supsect won't be quite as good at last light, which is when you need really good binoculars. Minox are also good. Steer clear of 10x bins - too much magnification to hold steady for longish periods of time.

If you can't afford at the 7x42 swaro's have a serious look at their 8x30 size - a friend has just got a pair and am very impressed, and they are nice compact and light.

Also don't discount the Habicht brand - OK a slightly old fashioned style but optics will be brilliant.

Have achat with Gregor at Macleods at Tain, he has a stock stock at outlet prices - mostly demonstrators that have only been on a shelf and sold with full guarantees etc.

Sam, you seem to be just too late to pick up one of the last pairs of Jananse Minox 8.5x43, there only seem to be German ones now for over £1K, the Japanese were going for less than £500.

Have you considered Bushnell? Their Elite range are based on the Zeiss/Bausch & Lomb factory lenses which they bought out.

http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web...eywords/recor/1/SearchFor/PT_ID/1/product.asp

If I could not find the Minox Japanese I would buy the Bushnell.

ft

Edit, Sam you might be in luck, I have found the Japanese Minox;
http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Minox_8.5x43_HG_BR_Asph
http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/ph/cat/prodtype/1285/prodtype.asp £399!!!!!!!!!!
Be quick though!

Last edited:
Not more options! :rolleyes::doh: Im useless, narrowed it down to the origanal two and now bushnell and wee swaros!

Still liking Meopta-Used to have one of their scopes and was niice

What about Steiner? The ranger 8x56 porro prism looks good. As does the Ranger Pro 8x56. Any ideas?

Sam

PS Im looking at larger than x42, Im only using them for dawn/dusk and I am big and ugly enough to cope with the extra weight

Sam, don't part any cash until you have tried the Minox HG's, seriously.

There are still good deal out there on the Minox.

Hang on !!! wait and save some more cash and buy second hand swarovski 7 x 42 slc's .

I have both 8x30 and 7 x42 . The 8x30 are brill BUT do not have the clarity that the 7x42 have at NIGHT ! yes not dusk or dawn but moonlight .
A month ago on a foxing night i was looking at a Roe buck through my 8x30's and while i could see him well i could not tell if he was in velvet or not , but my mate had his 7x42's and you could then make out the velvet !

I have not used leoupold bino's but if their scopes are comparable they do not push swarovski !

ATB

Splash

P.S speek to Gregor at Mcleod & Sons TAIN

Still Leaning Meopta/Steiner. Claret-I have handled the Minox before and they didnt feel right in the hand to me, But they were pretty good glass

Sam

MINOX HG....

seriously. I have just done the same product comparison as you and the Minox came out on top. I got mine for £399 from Sherwoods. Schott glass. Just as good as my old Zeiss and as good as the Swaros I have used.

Before you spend your money have a look at the Minox HG.

Hang on !!! wait and save some more cash and buy second hand swarovski 7 x 42 slc's .

I have both 8x30 and 7 x42 . The 8x30 are brill BUT do not have the clarity that the 7x42 have at NIGHT ! yes not dusk or dawn but moonlight .
A month ago on a foxing night i was looking at a Roe buck through my 8x30's and while i could see him well i could not tell if he was in velvet or not , but my mate had his 7x42's and you could then make out the velvet !

I have not used leoupold bino's but if their scopes are comparable they do not push swarovski !

ATB

Splash

P.S speek to Gregor at Mcleod & Sons TAIN

Totally agree, there are loads of good deals to be had on second hand Swarovski or Zeiss binos at the moment. Try ebay for a start. Cley Spy, In focus, London Camera exchange. Don't settle for an 'also-ran' brand, I'm not saying that they are not comparable on quality of image but think of the long term. I am still regularly using a pair of Zeiss 10x40 BGAT's that I bought second hand in 1992. My Swarovski 10x42 EL's are in everyday use (abuse really) and every time I look through them it is a pleasure. Buy once, buy the best is my advice. JC

Hi Sam

I wrote a little spiel about my trials and tribulations when choosing some glass recently, I'm not sure how to link to it but it may be some help to you to have a read, at least to maybe avoid some of the mistakes I made. Just make sure you try plenty. Your eyes are very unique to you.

Back