Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: small binoculars

small binoculars

I know how much you SDUK hunters like big, premium binoculars, but I don't see much mention of smaller binoculars. I have a cheap pair, and decided to buy a nicer, but small pair of binoculars that will still fit into my coat pocket. So far, I have looked at the Vortex 6.5x32 porros ( maybe too large ), Vortex 8x28, Vortex 8x32, Cabela's 8x32, Leupold Yosemite 8x30 porro and Bushnell XLT 8x30. The Cabelas were at the top, with their Japanese glass, but the Vortex Diamondback 8x32 were close.

Vortex are really good - Kowa looked a good small instrument at the game fair and do 3 ranges may be worth looking at
    Delta are also nice

Funny you should mention the subject, Yesterday I was cruising the second hand shops whilst waiting for the other half to conclude some business, I was looking for a pair of small bino's to take to the Boar drives, rather than lug my Leica's 10x50 RF's, I took them with me last trip & found them to be a " Not needed on voyage " item, So the search will continue this next few days that are left before we fly out.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

got a pair of Zeiss Jena 8x30 for 30 quid off evilbay.clear glass fit in your hand well pleased .also got a pair of no -name 8x26 for 10 from a flea market ,clean clear glass good solid with a leather case <WW2 vintage>.no markings,makers name nada ,natch but great optics.theyre out there m8 .only last month paid a whole 1 for a pair of Deltrim,s ,ex French navy bino,s at the local car boot bloke didnt know what he was selling .
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

I bought a small Pentax 8x?? pair in the US 1994 and they still going strong because I do not use them much as most of my work is morning & evening but for daytime stalking they would work well and they fit easily in a pocket.
    Martin

Think I just located a pair of Opticron 8x40's, six years old "Unused" still with original case, covers/strap & cloth , made originally in Japan for Leupold.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I have a pair of Swarovski 10x25b and I see them as true pocket binoculars.
    I love them ... In my pocket nearly all the time even when just out in general
    Yes small , fiddly when first had them but really love them now

Have a look through the pocket Leicas they are excellent, very good optics.

D

A pair of Zeiss Victory 8x20's have become my main binocular these days, possibly because they are small enough that I always have them within reach.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    I bought a small Pentax 8x?? pair in the US 1994 and they still going strong because I do not use them much as most of my work is morning & evening but for daytime stalking they would work well and they fit easily in a pocket.
    Martin
    Good point made here: that in the mornings and evenings, where you need light gathering and might be scanning longer vistas, you are likely not moving and those big 10x50s are fine. But during the day, in sunlight, and in and out of the woods, a small pair will do fine.

Those old Pentax small porro prisms were good. I am going to try to find a new pair to look through. They are as small as roof prisms.

I am finding some of the less expensive glass to be as good as older top end compacts, especially the 30 and 32mm when compared to 20 and 25. Normally, I shy away from store brands, but some of Cabela's are made by Meopta. The Vortex warranty is a big plus.