Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reduced recoil loads for deer? .270

Reduced recoil loads for deer? .270

Hi, I was reading up on .270 ammunition and stumbled on some reduced recoil deer loads: Remington Managed recoil, Federal Fusion lite, Hornady custom lite.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_f...ged_recoil.htm

All are designed to adequately expand at sub 200 yard ranges which makes me think that it would be ideal for close range woodland stalking 20-60yards.

Anybody used such loads or home-loaded something similar?

Please do not try to "help" by suggesting .243 or other low recoil caliber. Be gentle!
    ATB,
    TSG

Hodgdon publish reduced load data for many calibres. Mainly using H4895 from memory. Otherwise just reduce your normal powder to the minimum published level in the manual providing legal requirements are met.

I will eventually aquire the tools for home loading. at the moment I have no such skills. Was mainly interested if somewone has actually used downloaded round in actual deer hunting in regard to how they penetrate/expand.
    On paper they may be good practice and will punch a hole at the 100 target.

I have loaded mild loads for sighting in, for practice, and for my son and his friends to hunt deer when they were younger. H-4895 is a great powder for this.

A 110-gr deer bullet, made for the 6.8 SPC, in a .270 at 2,800 fps, is like a .257 Roberts - it will surely kill deer. But if you handload, you might want to just download a 130-gr bullet to 2,700, like a 6.5x55. Great for practice, allowing you to shoot enough in a session to get in the groove. Cheaper loads, too.

The 120-gr Sierra or Nosler BT in a 7x57 or 7mm-08 at 2,650 work very well on deer to 200 yards - again, just like a .257 Roberts with a factory 120-gr factory load.

Lots of 125-gr bullets in the .308 work well at 2,600 to 3,000+ fps. I use them in my old FR-8 Mausers, so I can run them at lower than commercial .308 pressures. In the short barrel, I only get 2,600 fps, but have flattened deer inside of 200 yards.

I have started the Doe season this year using the 7mm-08 running a start load charge of 36gr with 154gr Hornady bullets, which on target have been very accurate. So far 3 shots and 3 clean kills however they are not over penetrating. 1 chest shot showed an entry and exit at 80 yards, second chest shot had only an entry at 170 yards and the 3rd head shot had only an entry at 70 yards, inside of them all they had done some damage with a fairly large entry hole, so they have expanded fine.

So I would say light loads do work fine and have there advantages of course but I would say they will be limiting in terms of distance.

I have experimented with several calibres.

I have a pet woodland load for .270 which is a 150 grain bullet at 2650fps. That's well down the scale for the cartridge but not very low recoil.

Another was a 165 grain bullet from a .308 at 2420fps. Not even legal in Scotland. Again , well down the scale but not very low recoil.

Finally a 170 grain bellet in 8x57 at a measley 2150 fps. That was quite gentle to shoot.

I haven't yet experienced a failure with either of the first two and have put many, many deer, shot from all ranges between less than 10 and over 200 yards on the hook with both.

HOWEVER! the 8x57 load showed very little expansion on a few occassions and on one occassion a complete failure to expand. And that was the last one I used.

If you want very low velocity round it may be best to go with a varmint type bullet to get it to expand and then watch you don't drop below minimum muzzle energy rrquirement.

I use 130gr Interlocks over 54.5gr N160 in norma brass - chrono'd (however accurately I dont know) at 2800fps
    not a conscious choice its just where I found an accuracy node
    I could shove them 300fps faster but at what gain?

just doing a 100gr .270 load over 60gr N160 which according to the book I reckon will be around 3000fps (instead of the bat out of hell 3450fps they say the max will achieve!)

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Even a max load behind a 110 gr. bullet is quite soft if you install a Pachmeyer Decelerator recoil pad. I cant imagine anyone not being able to handle that unless you have some kind of medical condition. It feels like a .257 Roberts from my Browning A Bolt.

At the risk of being churlish (if that is the right word), fit a mod. To me, downloading a 270 takes away from it what it is.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Wills View Post
    At the risk of being churlish (if that is the right word), fit a mod. To me, downloading a 270 takes away from it what it is.
    Exactly, unless someone needs to grow into it.