Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Deer warden duties

  1. #1

    Deer warden duties

    This Morning I was called by a member of the public. The gent in question had knocked a deer over. The deer had made it 30m into a field at the side of the road. He called the police and they gave him my number (along with 2 other numbers allegedly. Deer wardens ). He called me 8 times and was obviously distressed. I explained that I could not rock up and shoot deer on private land without police presence.

    I'm sure I didn't sign up for this. Should the police control be handing my number out. Should I complain.

    CG

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by wag View Post
    This Morning I was called by a member of the public. The gent in question had knocked a deer over. The deer had made it 30m into a field at the side of the road. He called the police and they gave him my number (along with 2 other numbers allegedly. Deer wardens ). He called me 8 times and was obviously distressed. I explained that I could not rock up and shoot deer on private land without police presence.

    I'm sure I didn't sign up for this. Should the police control be handing my number out. Should I complain.

    CG
    On the basis that they dished out your confidential info, then yes, complain.
    Otherwise this is just an easy way for an unscrupulous individual to find out who has firearms in their home - from the phone number he could easily have got your address.

    Maybe fair enough if the police had contacted you themselves to ask if you would be willing to assist?
    Last edited by VSS; 04-11-2015 at 09:10.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    On the basis that they dished out your confidential info, then yes, complain.
    Otherwise this is just an easy way for an unscrupulous individual to find out who has firearms in their home - from the phone number he could easily have got your address.

    Maybe fair enough if the police had contacted you themselves to ask if you would be willing to assist?
    Get your address from the phone number ?

  4. #4
    Doesnt sound right that they're handing your number out without your permission, and where you havent signed up to be a "deer warden".

    I agree it would be different if the police had contacted you themselves and asked for assistance (even if it was completely out of the blue and them basically asking for a favour), or if you'd signed up to help. But even in the latter case the police would need to be there otherwise you're committing armed trespass.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by wag View Post
    This Morning I was called by a member of the public. The gent in question had knocked a deer over. The deer had made it 30m into a field at the side of the road. He called the police and they gave him my number (along with 2 other numbers allegedly. Deer wardens ). He called me 8 times and was obviously distressed. I explained that I could not rock up and shoot deer on private land without police presence.

    I'm sure I didn't sign up for this. Should the police control be handing my number out. Should I complain.

    CG
    You couldn't legally shoot the deer where it was even with police presence! Norfolk and Suffolk already have a list of dedicated 'Wardens' on a callout list, so I'm not sure why they'd call you if you were not on it? Might be worth calling your local FEO who can take the matter up on your behalf. Also worth chatting with the farmer who's land it was on to ask his permission if it happens again, and whilst you are there enquire as to whether or not he needs any deer management carried out as there is clearly a problem with RTA's!
    MS

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEROLL View Post
    Get your address from the phone number ?
    Yes, presuming the police had said "phone mr Wag on 01234 56 78 09" or words to that effect. Easy enough then to find it on the BT phonebook online search. Then put the details into google maps and hey presto! Go straight there...

  7. #7
    All sorted. Just had norfolk/ suffolk deer warden coordinator on the phone. Very humble and apologetic. He promises me it won't happen again and is actively searching for the cause of the issue. I'm a deer warden, maybe I didn't make that clear.

    Happy

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Also worth chatting with the farmer who's land it was on to ask his permission if it happens again, and whilst you are there enquire as to whether or not he needs any deer management carried out as there is clearly a problem with RTA's!
    MS
    Nice bit of lateral thinking, M-S!

  9. #9

  10. #10
    I called Lancashire police (More out of interest than anything) and asked if they had or wanted a register of local Volenteer Deer Wardens. The lady I spoke to was extremely polite but did not really know what I meant by "Deer Wardens", so I explained that they were volenteers that were qualified and experienced in Deer Management and were willing to be called out if there was a deer that had been reported as being involved in an RTA and needed tracking and (If need be) "putting out of it's misery". She explained that it was her belief that Lancashire Police did not have such people and if there was an RTA involving a deer then the Armed Response Unit would be called out. I asked her if there was someone that could confirm this as surely that would be a bit of a waste of police resources using the Armed Response Unit while there were experienced and qualified people who were willing to offer their services for free. She put me in touch with their Wildlife Officer and he confirmed that what she had told me was in fact correct, i.e. that if a deer was reported as being involved in an RTA in Lancashire the Police Armed Response Unit or the RSPCA were called out to deal with it.
    This just doesn't make sense to me so has anyone else come across this in any other area?



Similar Threads

  1. Traffic Warden's Funeral
    By tonyt in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2015, 09:49
  2. Deer Warden
    By Max in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-02-2014, 19:02
  3. Vacancy FC Woodland Warden, Aberdeenshire
    By NickJ in forum Jobs & Employment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24-10-2013, 16:27
  4. import duties
    By biker1 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 21-09-2011, 16:19
  5. Duties of Wives!
    By Grantoliver in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-08-2008, 09:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •