Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which axe?

Which axe?

Hi folks

Quick one , surely folk in the know here.....

Getting wood burner in very shortly , my father already has a log splitter I can borrow etc... But the woodburner I have is relatively small (4.5kw)
    So the logs really are limited to around 10.5" max
    Anyone recommend an axe for doing odd bit or splitting some logs into smaller sections?
    I know nothing regarding axes and don't want to buy crap, but won't need the Rolls Royce of axes either

Cheers
    Paul

My advice would be to look out for an old axe head in a farm sale, scrap yard etc, for a few quid. It'll be better steel than anything you can get nowadays. Then get a nice handle for it - handles are quite cheap from country stores, or you could make one from a piece of seasoned ash. That's how I got my two splitting axes anyway.

My advice would be use your fathers log splitter...an axe wount make the logs any shorter,thats a saw job...

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    My advice would be to look out for an old axe head in a farm sale, scrap yard etc, for a few quid. It'll be better steel than anything you can get nowadays. Then get a nice handle for it - handles are quite cheap from country stores, or you could make one from a piece of seasoned ash. That's how I got my two splitting axes anyway.
    Very good advice, eBay is another place for old axe heads but often they're quite expensive but finding one local for pick up is good. Good fun shaping and fitting a handle too

(The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

For splitting get a maul, preferably with a fibreglass shaft. Wooden ones have a tendency to get damaged by miss hitting when you first start to use one. A maul is a much more efficient tool for splitting than an axe. It uses a steeper angle and is convex so it does not get wedged in/jam as often or as completely as an axe. Screw fix or toolstation do them for a few pounds.

Modern tool steel technology means that a quality axe of today will be better than a quality axe of the past. A quality axe of the past will work fine. Elwell, Nash or Brades are classic professional makes, second hand they are both ubiquitous and good.

There is a patented hand splitter from Scandinavia which looks very efficient at splitting clean birch logs...check out on YouTube. The time consuming bit of splitting logs is picking up and repositioning on the splitting block, again look at the YouTube bungee or old tyre systems for keeping them in place. I had a load of Leyland to split and that prompted the purchase of an hydraulic log splitter, it was so knotty and twisted grain it was totally impossible to split by hand, so maintain a good relationship with your father!

For reducing the length of a log get a saw, at the least a decent Sandvik bushman. If you are going to be burning a lot of wood and not buying it in ready processed, get a chainsaw. An electric Makita if you can use it near a power source will not annoy your neighbours.

Alan
    Last edited by Alantoo; 04-11-2015 at 21:28. Reason: axle to axe…predictive text horror

I Would go wood shaft becasue they dont verberate the same as plastic/fibre glass with a miss hit.

stihl splittig maul - 35 done tons with mine. Quality as expected.

I use a felling axe with fibreglass/plastic shaft. Wooden ones head used to work itself loose and then the shaft snapped.
    I get rounds delivered and I split enough every sunday to fill a large box in the garage for the week to come. If you stay on top of it the job takes 15-20 min or so. Find the manual labor aspect very satisfying.

The best axe I have found for the job of splitting is the STIHL splitting axe. Costs maybe 60 but has a steel shroud where the axe would contact the wood if a miss-hit occurred. Heres a pic Pro Splitting Axe | Professional-Grade Pro Splitting Axe | STIHL USA Mobile
    You can buy a grundfors bruks for 120 ish, both will last you and the next in line, a lifetime, more importantly I find the pride in ownership something like owning a good gun.
    NB it will not chop across the grain because the profile of the head is 'wedged' .

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    For splitting get a maul, preferably with a fibreglass shaft. Wooden ones have a tendency to get damaged by miss hitting when you first start to use one. A maul is a much more efficient tool for splitting than an axe. It uses a steeper angle and is convex so it does not get wedged in/jam as often or as completely as an axe. Screw fix or toolstation do them for a few pounds.

Modern tool steel technology means that a quality axe of today will be better than a quality axle of the past. A quality axe of the past will work fine. Elwell, Nash or Brades are classic professional makes, second hand they are both ubiquitous and good.

There is a patented hand splitter from Scandinavia which looks very efficient at splitting clean birch logs...check out on YouTube. The time consuming bit of splitting logs is picking up and repositioning on the splitting block, again look at the YouTube bungee or old tyre systems for keeping them in place. I had a load of Leyland to split and that prompted the purchase of an hydraulic log splitter, it was so knotty and twisted grain it was totally impossible to split by hand, so maintain a good relationship with your father!

For reducing the length of a log get a saw, at the least a decent Sandvik bushman. If you are going to be burning a lot of wood and not buying it in ready processed, get a chainsaw. An electric Makita if you can use it near a power source will not annoy your neighbours.

Alan
    True to an extent but at a price. A 20 axe from China will be of far inferior quality to a similar priced second hand Sheffield steel axe head from last Century and a replacement handle. You could pick pan old quality axe for 1/4 or less of the cost of a new quality axe and there is the satisfaction of fitting the handle yourself.