Thread: Outlander PHEV - Anyone drive one?

Outlander PHEV - Anyone drive one?

Just wondered if anyone has the Outlander hybrid and has any feedback on it?

Do you find charging a ball ache or expensive?

MPG average once the petrol kicks in?

Is a special charging point needed at home?

Any other plus's or minus's owning one?

Cheers

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

IMO I think you'd get better mpg from a diesel model. Too much cost and complexity in these hybrids. The claimed mpg figures are a joke - in no way representative of real world use.

I don't own one.

One of my team at work has one. Fuel economy is no better than X3 or Disco Sport. With four in it going up hill it is underpowered. I would not recommend it unless it's for pottering about town.

Read somewhere the fugues quoted on actual test were half what claimed !

MY neighbour has one, in fact I bought my Touareg off him when he got the PHEV... I was chatting with him about it and saying how weird it must be to have to plug your car in at night! lol I often walk the dog past his house and chuckle at the cable sticking out of the side of the car!!!

It DOESN'T need a special charging point... standard 13A socket and as he said, he works 10 miles away and Monday to Friday he only goes to work and back... Monday to Friday he uses zero fuel... can get into Stockton and back to his office just on the battery... do the math... makes sense to me as long as the mpg on fuel isn't silly, which, apparently it's not... Nice motor... I'd have one! Wold be awesome for creeping into a forestry block under battery power!!!

I had 3 months working at Tesla last year.
    My take on it is how will you charge them outside an english terraced house or block of flats, you will need a dedicated parking space unless the charger recognises your car & bills your account at months end.?
    The cables will not last very long either when the local footpads figure out the copper content, or vandal kids.
    The real world logistics are not worked out yet.
    I would prefer another LPG / petrol vehicle instead.
    Martin

Had a quick play with Honest John Fuel Cost Calculator and you can compare the costs of running a normal vs Hybrid quite easily. Even with a much lower real MPG - 48mpg as opposed to the 150 official MPG, costs of running are significantly cheaper for Hybrids.

If you were mostly doing short commuting type runs and can thus use battery power most of the type and recharge from the mains it would be even cheaper. A big question, but why don't there Hybrids have solar panels built onto their roof panels - ok it won't add a lot of power, but when its sitting outside it will be charging even not plugged in, and will add a few miles extra range.

Fuel Cost Calculator | Honest John

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-12-03 at 09.38.53.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	63993
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 03-12-2015 at 09:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    I had 3 months working at Tesla last year.
    My take on it is how will you charge them outside an english terraced house or block of flats, you will need a dedicated parking space unless the charger recognises your car & bills your account at months end.?
    The cables will not last very long either when the local footpads figure out the copper content, or vandal kids.
    The real world logistics are not worked out yet.
    I would prefer another LPG / petrol vehicle instead.
    Martin
    I saw a several juice points in London. Also the mode going forward maybe to do a fast battery swap. When I used to work underground in a mine I could swap a battery on a locomotive faster than I could refuel a diesel truck and the battery would last a full 8 hour shift. The change will come fast enough for mainstream.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle