Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lever action - what calibre?

Lever action - what calibre?

Hi All,

I am thinking of getting myself a lever action and I would be grateful for some advice.

I currently have a 308 which I am very happy with, but fancy trying either a lighter roe calibre or a heavier red/potential driven boar round.

On the lighter calibres, are there any deer legal (scotland) traditional lever actions? Perhaps 30/30 can be made roe legal? How's their stopping power?

If none of the classic cartridges are deer legal, then I guess I'm limited to Browning BLR? These seem to be mainly sold in good old 308 or 270WSM, and I can try finding a cheap old BLR that needs a new barrel and getting it converted into something funky? I read that a 270WSM can have a bit of a kick without a mod and I guess will be a bit of an overkill for roe? Is brass easy to buy?

Am I right to think that you need at least 7mm for boar in Europe?

Thank you.

My 35 Rem Marlin works well.

Quote Originally Posted by mChavez View Post
    Hi All,

I am thinking of getting myself a lever action and I would be grateful for some advice.

I currently have a 308 which I am very happy with, but fancy trying either a lighter roe calibre or a heavier red/potential driven boar round.

On the lighter calibres, are there any deer legal (scotland) traditional lever actions? Perhaps 30/30 can be made roe legal? How's their stopping power?

If none of the classic cartridges are deer legal, then I guess I'm limited to Browning BLR? These seem to be mainly sold in good old 308 or 270WSM, and I can try finding a cheap old BLR that needs a new barrel and getting it converted into something funky? I read that a 270WSM can have a bit of a kick without a mod and I guess will be a bit of an overkill for roe? Is brass easy to buy?

Am I right to think that you need at least 7mm for boar in Europe?

Thank you.
    30-30;is more than roe legal

Marlin 444.

45/70 but then you are in scotland, and although it was almost solely responsible for making bison extinct, Scottish law knows best in these matters by saying it is nit good enough for roe deer!

45-70 would be great, as would 444, however as has been said you'll struggle to hit 2450 fps with either. As a boar only rifle, 45-70 in a slick lever gun is a handy tool.
    If you want it for deer as well then BLR is the way forward. The WSM line is good but brass is always going to be more expensive and harder to get than other more popular cartridges.
    If you are buying new then you have the option of 300 Win Mag. Maybe won't cycle as fast as the short action WSM range but would certainly be legal everywhere. If you handload you don't have to stoke it up either.

Personally, as you already have a 308 for deer, I'd go 45-70 and have a great little thumper.

Quote Originally Posted by plonker View Post
    30-30;is more than roe legal
    Unfortunately, in his neck of the woods it would only be deer legal with lighter bullets regards velocity, even then he would be relying on max loads which of course give different results in different rifles.
    He would be pretty limited to powder and bullet choice. Which is a shame as its a nice light recoiling cartridge usually.
    I have however never owned one, just fired one, so if you have experience with handloading the 30-30 and I'm wrong please correct me.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

You can get a 405Win or a 7-30Waters, also the 375 Win or the 307 and 356 are excellent all around rounds. Get a 307 which emulates the 308. For boar a 375 or 356 would be good.

Thank you for the replies.

30-30 might actually be a good call. Looking at wiki data (referenced to hodgdon), 110 and 130gn heads seem to just about comply with the deer regulations. Of course, given a short barrel, there's a risk that they will not reach their full potential. I guess that will just give me another reason to play with the loads

Does anyone have a 30-30 on their deer ticket in Scotland? I wonder how the police look at this.

How easy is it to get heads and brass for this calibre?

How would 30-30 perform on boar? Say, 150-170 gn load?

A 30-30 is not a boar gun.

Thanks.

With .444, there seem to be a lot of .44 heads that are 180gn. Can these be loaded into .444? what velocity would you expect from them? Surely they got to be over 2450? Anyone had any experience with them?