Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should I join?

Who should I join?

A long story cut (very) short, I am fed up with BASC. I came to the conclusion they are a self righteous organisation that do not seem to care for their members as much as they care for themselves. I have a long list of complaints starting from their policies on some issues close to my heart, to their apparent inability (unwillingness, maybe?) to put a decent representation for country sports when lobbying the goverment. It seems to me they got too comfortable being the 'largest shooting organisation'. So, after a very long time, it is time for a change. Who do I join then? NGO? SACS? BDS? Insurance is a rather important factor here, but as important is the willingness of said organisation to act as my voice when they meet with government. Not to sit in expensive hotels with them and drink malt whiskey.

Good question. From an insurance viewpoint, I think all the various organisations offer similar insurance, indeed you can get shooting insurance cheaper from other sources. However, the BASC offering in that department does seem to be the most comprehensive.

The Countryside Alliance seem to be pretty active without being raving lunatic type lobbyists. But there are others and were I you, I'd have a squint at all their web pages and see which one appeals to your views the most. Of course there's nothing wrong with being a member of more than one organisation.

SACS are pretty useful types, I used to be a member, but our current stalking arrangements require basc membership.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

SACS real quick to act if you have a problem just seem to care more about their members,NGO can't say as an English organisation ,SGA good organisation but really for gamekeepers and associated workers,
    ,BDS have been a member for thirty years
    and good for those whose interest is in deer not just shooting, activities depend on dedication of your local branch
    an organisation that requires input from its members.

BDS don't do insurance as part of their membership, they do do it as an extra, say that being a charity they can't
    provide it as part of the membership fee, not sure how true that is as I thought they had always been a charity,and they certainly provided insurance as part of the membership when I joined and I still have my original membership card to prove it.

While BDS is certainly not anti shooting, it's a charity dedicated to deer welfare and as such has many non stalking members ( not a bad thing) and I suspect it is in deference to them that insurance is no longer included in the membership, makes sense really as an organisation whose members only have an interest in deer in common, be that stalking, photography, or just liking to see them , it would be a little unfair if membership went towards paying for insurance, which many members would not require or need.

Although living at the other end of the country I'm with SACS - have previously been with BASC and BDS.

Been really impressed with the personal contact and advice when I needed it over partial FAC revocation last year - which helped me with the correct approach to the FLD, (not the all guns blazing one I initially felt like making), for a relatively swift and satisfactory outcome.

Exactly the same as you, live in mid Devon and with SACS
    Cheers
    Richard
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Although living at the other end of the country I'm with SACS - have previously been with BASC and BDS.

Been really impressed with the personal contact and advice when I needed it over partial FAC revocation last year - which helped me with the correct approach to the FLD, (not the all guns blazing one I initially felt like making), for a relatively swift and satisfactory outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
    A long story cut (very) short, I am fed up with BASC. I came to the conclusion they are a self righteous organisation that do not seem to care for their members as much as they care for themselves. I have a long list of complaints starting from their policies on some issues close to my heart, to their apparent inability (unwillingness, maybe?) to put a decent representation for country sports when lobbying the goverment. It seems to me they got too comfortable being the 'largest shooting organisation'. So, after a very long time, it is time for a change. Who do I join then? NGO? SACS? BDS? Insurance is a rather important factor here, but as important is the willingness of said organisation to act as my voice when they meet with government. Not to sit in expensive hotels with them and drink malt whiskey.
    BASC and BDS membership here.

Have been getting involved with the local BDS activities. Like all the groups I am a member of…this forum for example…the old truism about the more you put in the more you get out, seems to hold up.

Have you considered discussing your concerns with BASC…they do depend on membership feedback for policy…rather than just accepting that their policy decisions are not appropriate for you?

It is difficult for me to see that they do any less than any other group with regard to effective lobbying.

Alan

You sound like you have made your mind up but to criticise BASC for not representing countrysports with the government is a tad harsh? Whilst you may not personally agree with some of their policies, from what I've seen they are the ONLY organisation that constantly lobby parliament in favour of shooting sports... I have never seen any meaningful action from any other organisation... meeting in hotel rooms sipping malt whiskey??? where would you rather they met? in an old portacabin somewhere?? Remember the old criticism about company bosses swanning off to play golf when they should be in the office!! wrong way to look at it... more deals are struck and contracts agreed on the golf course than anywhere else!

SACS get a good rap for their hands on, personal approach but I only think they can do that due to thire relatively small size.. if the organisation was as BIG as BASC they simply couldn't do it...

For me... I will stick with the only organisation I ever see on the TV, in Westminster and hear on the radio when ever there is a threat to or an issue with our sport... and that, whether you like it or not... is BASC!

SD Regular
    I may not agree with VIPA about his belief in the UK's licensing regime but do agree with his view above about BASC.

The BDS, remember, is the organisation that opposed the retention of self-loading and pump action rifles for deer stalking. No, not SLRs or AR15s but such as the Remington 7600 and 7400 and the Browning similar, that some shooters found useful. Also (although I don't have one and have strong "anti" views on them) opposed, I understand, humane despatch pistols.

I have no "hands on" knowledge of SACS so can't give any input.