Thread: Self catering with shooting/stalking

Self catering with shooting/stalking

Hi all,
    I found, more or less by accident, a website yesterday advertising self catering cottage accommodation which included self-guided rough shooting (vermin year round and game/ducks in season) over the surrounding 250 acres, plus foxing and cheap local stalking opportunities. Looked ideal for a week's holiday with the wife, plenty of sport for me and a couple of day trips for the pair of us.
    The catch is that the owner is selling next year. If he hasn't sold by the time I was wanting to book he'll let me know.

Does anyone know of other places with similar arrangements? Location not really important. I was rather hoping we'd be able to make an annual holiday out of it, but obviously that won't happen now. Cost wise this was about 500 for a week including unlimited rough shooting and a little extra for stalking.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

SD Regular
    Without putting a "downer" on it at 250 acres it isn't that big. And if the shooting is hammered then you might get slim pickings. Does the owner have any sort of game book recording what people have shot? Is the land pasture, arable, woodland and etc and are birds put down or is there a big commercial shoot adjoining that birds come in from? Ditto with the deer is there deer present and recorded or just the "chance of deer"?

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Without putting a "downer" on it at 250 acres it isn't that big. And if the shooting is hammered then you might get slim pickings. Does the owner have any sort of game book recording what people have shot? Is the land pasture, arable, woodland and etc and are birds put down or is there a big commercial shoot adjoining that birds come in from? Ditto with the deer is there deer present and recorded or just the "chance of deer"?
    I think they have historically pit birds down and during the season run a lot more geared towards the shooting, but the rough shooting included with the accommodation is more of a "have a walk about with the gun" kind of thing. There are ponds on the ground which hold wild duck. The stalking apparently extends much further than the 250 acres. The appeal to me was more of a holiday with shooting included than a shooting holiday, if that makes sense.
    All if which is immaterial really as they're selling up and the business may or may not carry on.
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

I've done this quite a few times with cottages in Scotland, usually ones on a larger sporting estate. In my experience they don't always advertise this option as such but it is often there for the asking. Not surprisingly they often like to meet you & assess you before offering as this they have to be careful about who they have wandering about with a gun or rifle. I usually ask if there are any rabbits or pigeons I can go after to help with dog training & take it from there.