Cheap custom built reloading bench.

Thar

Hi Gents

I thought I would share a photo of my new custom made reloading bench, total cost zero.:cool:

P1010277.jpg

Work were throwing out some old office furniture, I had been looking for a new reloading bench for some time and had been looking on e-bay but could find nothing under the cost of a good reloading press that was ideal.:confused: When work throw out some well to be honest not that old office furniture, I decided that I could make use of it, so out with the circler saw and cordless drill and this is what I knocked up.

My reloading procedure starts with the single stage reloading press on the left of the bench, I leave my de-capping die in this permanently, once I get in from a trip used cases are de-primed and put in the Ultra-sonic cleaner once I get 10 or so empties in the cleaner I turn it on. The cheap cordless drill has a 240volt to 12 volt DC converter under the bench with a foot operated switch, it is also mounted permanently to the bench this allows me to size, de-burr, prep’ primer holes etc with both hands free. The turret press allows me to swap between calibres when reloading without having to set up my dies each time.

Old, cleaned, and prep’brass is stored in the plastic lintran containers on the left.

Not sure if that gives all body ideas for there own bench or not.

ATB

Tahr

Smart set up mate, what are you useing in your ultra sonic??? I've been useing citric acid crystls,they come out shiny,but seem to take on a bluish tinge after a while..

nell

Nice set-up, I must do the same and stop doing it in the garage, also thought about using an old drill as well. I f you get a snotty reply it will be Mrs Deerwarden, she goes under the name of anal thrush, my pet name for her, her ignorance is my bliss, now where's that Canastan tube beware. deerwarden:oops:

This is my basement arrangement.
reloading room.jpg

...Before I expanded it. I keep my powder, primers, brass and dies elsewhere.~Muir

Smart set up mate, what are you useing in your ultra sonic??? I've been useing citric acid crystls,they come out shiny,but seem to take on a bluish tinge after a while..

nell
Nell have you tried putting in a solution of bicarbonate of soda that should neutralise any effect the acid might be having on the brass,i use 20% white wine vinigear and a dash of washing up liquid when the cases are clean rinse straight away under tap then into bicarb solution,i use a heaped tablesoon to a couple of pints of water and leave the cases in for about 5 mins then rinse under tap again,never had any cases tarnish.
Neil.

Nell have you tried putting in a solution of bicarbonate of soda that should neutralise any effect the acid might be having on the brass,i use 20% white wine vinigear and a dash of washing up liquid when the cases are clean rinse straight away under tap then into bicarb solution,i use a heaped tablesoon to a couple of pints of water and leave the cases in for about 5 mins then rinse under tap again,never had any cases tarnish.
Neil.

Thanks Neil, will give it a try.....

Nell

nell

Hi nell

I have used most of what has been mention but Have just tried Coke-cola, they come out lovely, I give them a rinse in water after so they are not sticky.

Muir, I wish I had made mine a bit bigger now, thing is I thought it ideal when I first put it together.:confused:

ATB

Tahr

Thar: I started using bench mounted equipment on a pedestal made from a truck rim/tire that had a 6" steel tube welded onto it, and a steel plate on top of that. I had my stuff bolted around the plate and just sat at a different spot as needed. Then another press. Then another bullet lubricator. Bigger scale... Soon I was converting the shed out back to a reloading room. Then I built a building. Things get out of hand fast when you work at a gunshop and get first refusal at all the used loading gear that comes in at 10% over cost. Years later I still have presses, scales, die sets, and bullet lubricators packed in boxes. I have given much away as I have found that my shooting needs have simplified over the years.~Muir

BTW: That truck rim reloading bench was perfect for a while. I could roll it out of the way as needed it was very stable. My hint for a cheap reloading bench.

Last edited:
Thanks Muir

This my third attempt, my last one at my old house in England was in the garage, I also made a portable one that I clamped to a black and decker workmate, not ideal but it kept me in ammo until I got something better sorted.

ATB

Tahr

Back